USB Drive doesnt work after 10.2 upgrade.

RSplash40

Registered
I have a maxtor USB (only) 120 gig drive that stopped working the moment I upgraded to 10.2. Subsequent patches have not helped matters. Maxtor says its apples problem, apple says its maxtors problem. These are supposed to be fully supported under osx. They were until the 10.2.

I've resized the drive to a 70 gig partiton and left the rest blank, I'm trying now to reformat it as a windows fat32 like it was originally.

this is funny, it came with a fat32 format on it, and now under win2k I can't format it as anything but a ntfs. maxtor says get a win98 boot disk and format it. havent been able to yet.

once I get it formmated, does anyone know how to getot be seen under 10.2 as a fat 32 drive?

Probably bad partition data on the HD, You will probably have to run a debug script to wipe all partition data from the drive

This is a long shot, but I've had somewhat the same problem before (had them all:p), and I connected the drive to my mac, (drive wasn't shown on desktop or anywhere else) opened disk utility, erased the disk, and all was fine. Now it just works..

I'm not sure if I was clear but my problem is that I need to transfer large amounts of data between my mac at home and my win2k box at work. The drive could be seen on the win2k box but not at home. I'm hoping this re-format will work, the maxtor people say reformat it on a win98 machine.

If the drive has been partially formatted in NTFS, and smaller partition in fat32. you won't be able to format the partition fromWin2K in anything except NTFS, Which I guess OS X does not read yet, Make a Win98 boot diskette from a Win98 machine, you can use this to boot any PC, this should have fdisk, you can use that to remove partitions, except you may not be able to remove the NTFS one, Win98 won't read that either, You'll likely need debug, as I said before, to deal with the NTFS partition. PC's, Blah!

Thats the bogus part, the drive had never been reformatted since day 1, I dumped files on and off both machines hapilly for months until I upgraded to 10.2. After that, nothing.

I used partition magic to change the size of the partition, that didnt help(there was a tid on size of drives somewhere).

Every tid and patch did nothing.

And I was the guy with the old G3 that had the least amount of problems upgrading to X! I've just had a few really annoying ones since.

thanks for the help!

--mike

Back