usb flash/pen drive does not mount

mugatu

Registered
i have a lexar jumpdrive that won't mount in os x. i have a powerbook G4 15" titanium running 10.3.9. when i plug the drive in it doesn't show up on my Desktop or when i open the Macintosh HD icon. the drive is recognized in System Profiler but not in the Disk Utility. the drive works fine in other PCs and macs. when i type the command:

diskutil list

it does not show anything pertaining to my flash drive. any suggestions?

I actually had my old Jumpdrive screwed up when I took it between a Mac and PC. Don't know what caused it, but I just used the disk utility in MacOS X to reformat it and from then on it was fine on both machines.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
What format is the pen drive in?

i'm not sure i understand the question...

applemaz said:
but I just used the disk utility in MacOS X to reformat it and from then on it was fine on both machines.

it would be nice if i could do the same, but like i said, Disk Utility doesn't even recognize the drive, so it's gotta be something else. not only that, but a PC recognizes the drive just fine, so the drive itself isn't screwed up.

Has it ever worked on your Mac, or did it cease being recognized recently?

I'm thinking it just may not be compatible with OS X or something (though it should be by all means)... although there have been reports of problems with external drives refusing to mount, both USB and FireWire.

When I asked what format the pen drive is in, I meant what filesystem is being used for it: FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, etc...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Has it ever worked on your Mac, or did it cease being recognized recently?

I'm thinking it just may not be compatible with OS X or something (though it should be by all means)... although there have been reports of problems with external drives refusing to mount, both USB and FireWire.

When I asked what format the pen drive is in, I meant what filesystem is being used for it: FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, etc...

i don't know if it's worked on this particular mac or not, but
mugatu said:
the drive works fine in other PCs and macs
so i don't think it's an OS X problem.

i'm not sure what filesystem the USB drive uses, whatever it came with i guess. my guess would be FAT32. but like i said, it's gotta be something else because it works fine on other computers.

Back