squishmusic

Registered
Hello all
I have purchased a floppy USB drive
It unfortunately does not auto mount on my desktop
The manufacturer mentioned I may need to download some USB Mass storage support
I found this link to this free.app but it doesnt exist anymore
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9196
Does anyone have this .app for Mac OSX or have experienced similar problems when using External 3.5" USB floppy drives and know of a solution?
cheers

I am using Mac G5 OSX 1.4.6
512 MB
1.9 GHz Power PC G5

Thanx

Um... Sorry as i understand it there is no floppy support in Mac OS X i may be wrong please correct me. i suggest getting a cheap flash drive that holds about 50x the amount of a floppy.

Oh??
Id like to know if this is the case. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Only maybe I will sue the manufacturer for false claims since they write this of their product;)
Manufacturer's Description:
The Origin Storage USB Floppy drives are the perfect choice for computer users who require access to 1.44MB floppy disks.....The USB Floppy drives are hassle free to install, providing true plug and play support with any of today's operating systems. Apart from Windows 98, and Mac OS8.6, no drivers are required for installation on Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS X.The Origin Storage USB Floppy drives are the best solution for adding a portable floppy drives to your system.

Mac OS X does not support internal floppy drives -- it does, however, support external drives with the proper drivers. The problem it seems here is getting the proper drivers. The drivers previously linked here are pretty damn old, and I wouldn't trust installing them in Tiger (they were written for 10.2, and many, many detrimental changes have been made to OS X since then).

Certain places say that drivers shouldn't be required for OS X 10.3 and newer, like here:

http://www.yedata.com/support/external_floppydrives.shtml

Could it be that you need to launch Disk Utility and then format the floppy disk so that Mac OS X recognizes it?

Thanx Eldiablo
I hadnt thought of formatting the floppy.
However I also want to load data from my old floppies to my mac for back up so in this case I cant actually format the floppy disk or I will lose the data? correct?
But I will try the disk utility option at the weekend maybe that will then allow the mac to recognise the floppy drive as being attached and I can go from there.
I let U know how it unfolds.

No worries ultramacfreak I also read that it does not support int. floppy drives

:)

Well I got my other mac (imac G3 running OSX 10.3.9) to recognise the floppy drive when I loaded unformatted blank disk, but I wasnt able to format it?
How do I do this with disk utility?

Plus when I loaded in my floppy disk (with data) that I wanted to backup, the imac did not recognise the floppy drive this time (note when floppy disk is ejected each time the drive is also ejected disconnected)
So Im still left without the ability to back up presaved data from my floppy disks to my imac
Is this the end then??? :(

Back