usb mouse pause help!

paulboy

Chief Evangelist
I just bought a targus ultra mini mouse. Very very tiny usb mouse. When I plug it in my PowerBook 12, the mouse will pause and I get no movement for a few seconds untill I move it around for a few seconds. This will happen again when I type something and leave the mouse not moving for a little bit, the mouse doesn't move untill i move it around. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this the mouse problem or powerbook problem? I get the same problem with my brother's mouse. ???

paulboy said:
...the mouse doesn't move untill i move it around.
Funny, mine doesn't either. I wonder why that could be... ;)

It might be a driver issue, if there are any drivers involved. What version of OS X are you using? What mouse drivers do you have, if any?

Is this a productivity killer? I can see it being one if it takes over a minute to start moving, but if it's just a few seconds, is it really anything more than simply annoying?

It sounds like the mouse is going into some kind of sleep, and the optical laser takes a moment to detect movement after a period of inactivity. It sounds like it's the mouse's fault, but I wouldn't call it a problem.

Do you have access to any other kinds of USB optical mice you can try?

As I recall, in OS 9, you could turn off the track pad so you can use the mouse exclusively. Do you have that option in OS X?

Back