USB Woes

dave261266

Registered
Guys,

Can you tell me please what the following message means ?

27/01/2009 18:40:31 kernel USBF: 70466.921 AppleUSBEHCI[0x6c1f800]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfa, timing out! (Addr: 7, EP: 2)

It always seems to be the same Addr: 7 and EP: 2 but I'm not sure how the message relates to the problem. Too many devices, too much throughput, something else ?

The environment that this is in is as follows

24" iMac 4G Ram
Three USB hubs (tried with two, now with three)
1st Hub - 3 USB Disks (2 disks raided (concat))
2nd Hub - 3 USB Disks (3 disks raided (concat)) (Powered Hub)
3rd Hub - 1 USB Disk, 2 iPhones, Camera) (Powered Hub)
One Firewire 400 Disk
Leopard 10.5.6

Seems to be related to the 1st hub although I have had the hubs in differing configs and no change. Let's say I copy from the raid disk on the 1st hub to another disk or indeed using time machine for a backup. Sometimes it might be ok but invariably I get a message like the one above and then the commands just hang. No force quit or kill commands work on them. If I were then to disconnect one of the USB devices and then reconnect the commands would fail but nothing is left hanging.

So I am a bit confused as to what is causing this ?

Any Ideas ?

Cheers

Dave

I will try as I seem to have narrowed it down to one device. But if it works then I am still left with a problem in that the device won't work through a hub which makes it pretty much useless.

Also it was running through a hub for several months without any issues so I ask myself what has changed. Apart from 10.5.6 I'm not sure much else has to be honest.

Cheers

Dave

Satcomer,

I haven't done this as yet as I'm trying to determine what it will do and what issues I might have after doing it. I'm also trying to figure out why this would have an impact on the usb bus. Can I ask what the reasoning is for the suggestion, have you had this issue yourself and rectified it this way ?

Regards

Dave

Back