USBMSC Identifier (non-unique):

Code Zealot

Registered
Does anyone know what this means?

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): MY6BNC64P604KV 0x3f0 0x5611 0x100

If I boot into root with the command key - s combination, the line above appears. The line, jnl unknown device, appears as well.
If I run the command fsck_hfs -fpyr /dev/disk0s2 repeatedly, usually helps but, did not correct the problem the last time I used it. Any suggestions?

That is a USB device, specifically a mass storage device.
What do you have connected that is that type of device?
Maybe you have a flaky USB flash drive - which isn't too unusual.

Thank you for your response. I did not have any usb device on my computer at the time this line appeared. When I tried to connect to the Internet this evening, I had trouble until I disconnected and reconnected again. Now my mDNSReponder shows an IP address instead of the ISP DNS.

which model Mac do you have?
Do you use an external USB hub, even one that's built-in to a display or an Apple keyboard?

I have a iMac 20" built in 2007 running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. The keyboard is using a usb port on the back of the computer. I have not experienced any problems with the keyboard or any other usb device. I use several flash drives for data storage all without any known problems. I have recently ran an integrity check, disk scan and benchmark testing using Drive Genius. All of the reports were good, no problems reported. I also used Drive Genius to erase the free space on the drive. Today when I checked for the USBMSC line on boot it was not listed. This has been typical. Sometimes it is there and other times it is not. I also run the periodic routine for daily, monthly and weekly regularly. I have never used an external usb hub with this computer.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Back