user short name

andehlu

this modern love
does anyone know how to change a users shortname and if there are any issues with doing this?

Hi andehlu:

I have never changed my short name, but I have seen overly simple instructions for doing so posted elsewhere a number of times. The April issue of Macworld has a brief blurb on the process. It indicates that changing one's short name is not a process to be taken lightly and recommends use of ChangeShortName 1.1.

Even the author of this software says:
"NOTE: It needs to be said that because changing the short username is a serious procedure, you should do it only as a last resort. The best option is to simply learn to live with your present short username. Or, if the account was just created, create a new account with the desired short username and then delete the "unwanted" account. That being said, if you're determined to actually change the short username of an account, read on."

you could just create a new user and copy over all the files, then do a chown. You are going to want to back up your files anyways.

ick all those senarios dont really sound fun.....guess ill just live with it till tiger thanks guys...

Back