username is greyed out in macmail

kisuke3

Registered
Hello Fellow mac-users,

I am just wondering whether this is an expected behavior or not. I have mobile me setup in my macmail(3.5). I currently own a MBP late 2008. All my software are up-to-date. I suddenly ran into this problem where I click on the accounts pane of the mail preferences. I check on the incoming mail server which was editable however the "username" is greyed out. Is this normal?if not please let me know how to fix it

This is normal for a MobileMe account. Mail.app is getting your username info from the MobileMe pane of the System Preferences.

Thank u sir. Like I said I am not sure whether this is a normal behavior. This definitely cleared things out. So for other email accounts that shouldn't be the case? I wanted to setup hotmail thought it requires a 3rd party software to be installed first, same with yahoo services since these are free email accounts.too bad.do u have any suggestions on setting these up?

With other accounts, yes, you must manually enter the username, so the username field will be editable for accounts other than MobileMe accounts.

As far as hotmail and yahoo go, I don't use my accounts with Mail.app. There are 3rd-party plug-ins, but if I remember correctly, they only allow you to receive mail from hotmail/yahoo accounts -- not send mail with hotmail or yahoo as the originating email address.

You could always receive hotmail mail, then reply to it using a different account.

I'll leave discussion of those 3rd-party plug-ins to someone here who has more experience with them than me.

Back