Using a Mac in a Windoze world

j_button

Registered
I am one of the few Mac users in a network controled by PC/Microsoft resources. I get along pretty good, I'm able to mount network drives and get to the data. However one problem still remains; when I get an e-mail that has a link to a file that exists on a network resource I can't open it without mounting the shared resource then find and open the file.

The links look like \\server\share\dir\dir\filename.

How do I get the mac attempt to mount the resouce and open the file automatically?

Thanks in advance.
-Jon

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
You probably can't with links formatted like that.

In my experience, connecting to Windows shares used forward-slashes ("/"), not backward slashes like you use on another Windows machine.

A simple script could be written that changes all back-slashes to forward-slashes, but without one I don't think it's going to be possible to simply click the link and have the file auto-open on a Macintosh.

j_button

Registered
Hmm. That's disappointing...... I was kind of hoping there was something in the network setup that would allow this auto mount to work properly for when you click the link.

symphonix

Scratch & Sniff Committee
You could try this. In finder, choose Go --> Connect to Server. Then, copy in the address, minus the filebit off the end, and prefix it with "smb:", so it looks something like this:
smb:\\server\share\dir\dir

This should take you straight to the folder, at least.

j_button

Registered
I don't have any trouble using the connect to server in GO menu. I can put the proper sever and path and connect just fine. I wan't to be able to use a link to a file in an email that I read using Entourage. I would like for the OS to mount and provide access to the linked file. Most of them look like this or something like it.

<file:///\\d6adm1\pde\PI\LoopTeams\Transistor\Meetings\10-03-05\Transistor%20Loop%20P-C%20Chart%20Summary.ppt>