Using Automator for the first time

shagans982

Registered
Hello all,

I'd like to rename several files (thousands) but each would be named differently. I've read up on batch and mass renaming for files and folders but I haven't been able to find anything explaining how to rename on a file by file basis. Is it possible to automate a process in which the title of each document (actually titled in the document itself) could be used to rename the file. Or is automator not capable of scrapping such info off the doc?

Any help would be appreciated.

What type of documents are you needing to rename?
And, what do you do with a document that has a name, but doesn't have a title?
For example, MS Word suggests a doc name, usually with the first few words of the document.

These would be word documents and maybe a few PDF's...resumes to be exact. The titles would more than likely be the candidates name (which would be the first few lines in the doc) but when I receive them they are usually named by the sender. (which isn't always by their name). What I'd like to do is rename every separate file with the candidates' name.

I hope this helps...

Unless the documents all are formatted identically, with the candidate's name in exactly the same position in the document - seems unlikely that you would be able to do that with a script, or other automated method.

The formatting wouldn't be identical for every doc but is it possible to name every doc as the first 2 words on the page/first line? (the title) As it is right now, if I copy and paste a resume on to a new doc with the name being the title (first line) and then attempt to save it, it automatically assumes the file name will be the first line and defaults to that. By that logic shouldn't it be able to rename every doc by its title? I really appreciate any help..I have thousands upon thousands of docs that need renaming.

Back