Using target mode to transfer to new computer

wfi42

Registered
I just bought my daughter a new IMac with Tiger to go to college. Anyway I would like to transfer everything from my computer (especially her ITunes library) over to her new computer using the simple firewire target transfer method. However what that does is to install me as an administrator user on her machine. Is there any way to transfer all files over there without adding me as a user and just leave the new IMac as hers with her as the only account on the machine?
thanks for any help,
bill

Connect the machines with a F/W cable. Start the machine with the data you want to trasfer up while holding 'T" this will boot the machine up in Firewire target mode. Then start up the seccond machine up. Machine 1 will appear as a F.W drive on 2's Desktop. Viola!

Let me be more specific with my question. I have already done this once and I think what Browni says is not correct. When I turned on the new machine it asked if I had files I would like to transfer over from another machine. I said yes, used f/w cable and got all the info over just fine, BUT it made ME the administrator of my daughter's machine. I could add her as another administrator, but we both would like her machine to have only one user, herself. Also, her entire I-tunes library was under my account and when we added her as an administrator she had NOTHING in her Itunes library. True, we could make this Shared, but we were hoping to get me off it entirely. So we scrubbed the machine and are starting over.

If I do what the other post says, i.e. change target direction, then I would need to physically take everything over one by one because there is nothing to transfer going the other way. I could do it physically because you see the other machine but I am not sure where everything is, including librarys, etc.

I thought there was a way to put in the user FIRST, before you transfered over.

Having two users setup is a good idea. If you have problems with a user account, can't log it, etc, you can log in to the other account.

You can also deactivate the second administrator user (you) afterwards, if you want to. Or, as Browni has said, simply mount the "old Mac"'s drive and copy what you need instead of importing whole accounts...

bobw said:
Having two users setup is a good idea. If you have problems with a user account, can't log it, etc, you can log in to the other account.
I strongly second that!

Every Mac OS X system I service, I enable a new user with administrative privileges and create an apps folder in that user's directory with a handful of additional utilities. I then make sure that the only things on the dock are the utilities needed to fix the system (and try to make the account look as unfriendly as possible so no one starts using that as a regular user account).

There has been a number of times where I was able to talk someone through a fix by having them log into that account and directing them as to what they needed to do. (I figure if talking them through those steps doesn't work, then I most likely need to see the problem first hand.)

wfi42 said:
Also, her entire I-tunes library was under my account and when we added her as an administrator she had NOTHING in her Itunes library.
So... the first question that comes to mind is: Why did you put your information in instead of hers when you were setting everything up? :confused:

Back