UT2004 demo to be released today

I'm not gonna bother with the download (UT2k3 ran ridiculously slowly and I know this is gonna be wrose) but I have a question for those that have. In UT2K3 they had totally "wussified" the weapons (quoting IMG review, and i agreed). They were all he same, no really interesting firing tricks, and no skill to pick up with each one (unlike original UT where it was really important).
So what are they like in UT2k4?

Viro said:
The graphics are much better. You get much better/smoother skeletal animations. The physics are awesome. Not sure how much they changed in UT2004, but in UT2003, they had to tone down the physics as it was taking too much CPU power. Just look at the way your player dies, and you'll see what I mean. Watch the limbs flail realistically, and the body crunch and crumple when you fall off a cliff or land after being blasted by a rocket.

Lovely...
Yes, it's wonderful. But still surprising why it's still so slow once I actually turned off everything or set to low. In that state quake3 looks much better and still runs much faster..

My guess is the polygon count of the models/world and the general details in the world. UT2K3 (and by extension UT2K4) have much more polygons in a scene than in Quake III. This might not be so obvious, as 2x the number of polygons doesn't mean something will look 2x nicer. Even on the lowest setting, in my experience the models in UT2K3 still looked really nice.

Ora: e.g. if you load multiple rockets with alt-fire you can release them spiralling. I haven't yet found time to check out all the other options/candy.

I've always noticed that games designed on the PC run much worse on Macs. I don't know why. I think the only expception were the Blizzard games. I'm downloading both the PC version and Mac version to compare the two out of curiosity.

Just tested the ne 2k4 version and I'm very disappointed. They've got over 1 year for the new version and this stupid bug "jump and always straf right and never walk left again" they introduced in version 2k3 still exist. Not only that they haven't any bugfix for the 2k3 version no they even have it in the 2k4 version.

So this simply shows me that first they are not interested in their customers and second 2k4 is a stupid update of 2k3. So if they won't fix this problem and gave me a bugfix for my 2k3 version this was the last UT game I've ever payed for.

And I think that 2k4 is not worth more than $20 for existing 2k3 owners. It's just an update and nothing really new. The original UT is still the best. UT2k3 has some nice features but gameplay never recht UT level. And UT2k4 just continues this. Graphics up and gameplay down. And with these bugs you even can't play it for more than a few minutes.

Well, 2k4 ran just fine on my PowerBook 1.25Ghz at 1024x768 with everything on Normal. Though, laptops just don't make good game machines (in my opinion), my fans were on high after 10 minutes and the keyboard layout stinks. But, that's what the PC's for. I just dust it off to play the games. :)

rbuenger said:
Just tested the ne 2k4 version and I'm very disappointed. They've got over 1 year for the new version and this stupid bug "jump and always straf right and never walk left again" they introduced in version 2k3 still exist. Not only that they haven't any bugfix for the 2k3 version no they even have it in the 2k4 version.

So this simply shows me that first they are not interested in their customers and second 2k4 is a stupid update of 2k3. So if they won't fix this problem and gave me a bugfix for my 2k3 version this was the last UT game I've ever payed for.

And I think that 2k4 is not worth more than $20 for existing 2k3 owners. It's just an update and nothing really new. The original UT is still the best. UT2k3 has some nice features but gameplay never recht UT level. And UT2k4 just continues this. Graphics up and gameplay down. And with these bugs you even can't play it for more than a few minutes.

IMO, ut2k4 is very much worth the $50, or whatever the price will be. I own ut2k3, and ut2k4 is a MAJOR update, its practically a new game. Especially with all the new vehicles and the 2 new game modes. Though I can't get over 20fps on my 1ghz TiBook w/a gig of RAM, the G5 plays it like butter. I've had this jumping and being stuck strafing problem before, but only once or twice, and I play ut2k3/4 at least 2 hours everyday :p. Maybe they just can't figure out how to fix it, or can't reproduce the bug on their machines, its not that big of a deal at all.

I tried UT2004 on a highend pc (2GB Ram, P4 3.2Ghz HT-E, NV 5900 256MB and 256Bit memory). It was really nice! Very smooth and the graphic looked so real. I am impressed. But does it make sense to pay almost 2000Euro ($2300) for a pc just to play UT2004? It wouldn't be good for anything else ;)

No, it makes very little sense. If you want to play UT2K4 reasonably well, I'd suggest finding a LAN arcade in town or finding a *really* good friend with a nice Wintel box.

Zammy-Sam said:
I tried UT2004 on a highend pc (2GB Ram, P4 3.2Ghz HT-E, NV 5900 256MB and 256Bit memory). It was really nice! Very smooth and the graphic looked so real. I am impressed. But does it make sense to pay almost 2000Euro ($2300) for a pc just to play UT2004? It wouldn't be good for anything else ;)

Yeah, that was something that I faced when I was actively playing games on the PC. Not only did I need a fast PC to get games to play well, I needed to constantly upgrade in order to get good performance. Video cards are the biggest culprits, getting out of date very quickly. An expensive top of the line PC will become obselete in about a year. By that, I mean you won't be able to max out the settings and play games at an acceptable framerate.

Easiest solution? I got a console. Console(with 2 games) and TV cost me only £250. And the console will last much longer than any high-end PC.

I know, I know, consoles are built for games while computers are built to run everything and none of it well ;)... but I just don't like using the controller, at least for some types of games.

Idk what you guys are talking about, but my 2 year old pc, Athlon XP 1800 512mb of PC2100 with a GF2 ti 200 has lasted me just fine. I have had to replace the video card because it wont even run a few new games, Deus ex2 and Prince of Persia, but i can stil run ut2k4 at 800*600 (hosting the server with bots as well) and still get decent frame rate, now i am using my roommates radeon 8500 until I buy a new card and it runs great at 1024x768. Not bad for a PC that cost me 900 bucks to build 2 and a half years ago.

Oh and btw, UT2k4 kicks some major butt, 2k3 really was just a graphic and AI improvement over the original all the weapons were basically the same with the addition of Bombing run(which is pretty damn fun)

I havent played much Assult yet, but I have spent hours upon hours playing the same demo map of Onslaught over and over again, i really cant get enough of it. I am planning on buying this game when it comes out. I think the last time i was this addicted to a game was back in the good old Counter-Strike days, except i havent yet reached the point of breaking my keyboard yet.

Well, my old PC was an AthlonXP 1700 with 1GB DDR 333 RAM and GF4 ti4200. Pretty high end stuff. Yet in UT2003, I couldn't play at Max settings and above average AI as things would just get laggy. And yeah, I was playing at 800x600. Forget about higher resolutions.

I guess it really depends on what you expect out of your PC. What is unacceptable to me, might very well be acceptable to you. After all, I'm rather spoilt :) But seriously, a GF2 isn't going to show you the true potential of UT2003, much less UT2004.

but I had to for this. I got the demo two days ago and i think its pretty cool. UT 2003 in my opinion, wasnt that great of a game, although it was pretty cool and nice graphics of course. Then i bought unreal championship for xbox and stopped playing ut2003 because the graphics are much smoother, no lag, etc. UT2004 seems a lot better, and I experience no or little lag on the deathmatch and capture the flag maps (1 ghz G4, nvidia geforce 4 mx w/64 mb vram, 512 mb ram) and thats with everything up all the way, 1024x768. The onslaught level with all the vehicles was a much different story. Lagged like crazy first time i played it. Then i turrned off trilinear filtering, put some stuff down from normal to low , just 1 level down on the ones i did. And last I played it in 800x600. But after this it still lagged a little. Then I put it off of full screen mode, and it had no to little lag like the other maps. Im a little disappointed that I had to do this to achieve what i wanted, but I guess its better then nothing and that this is just the demo. Hopefully the final will be a lot better. Are there vehicles in unreal 2 the awakaning, for pc and xbox? Im thinking if ut2004 isnt great i might have to pick that up for xbox :p .

Unreal 2 is the story version of unreal tournament, from what i remember it doesnt have vehicles and it really closely resembles Halo.

So I test played the UT 2k4 Demo on my Mac (G4 1.25GHz single CPU, 768MB Ram, Radeon 9000, OS 10.3), and it works real nice. I can play it with the standard settings on 1024x768 without any problems.

Nice game, the Onslaught mode is really fun. :)

UT2004 has been optimized on Mac for dual proc machines.
Difficult to play on a single 1 GHz.

Back