Vanished Applications

jonparadise

Registered
I bought a Powerbook G4 a couple of weeks ago, it was working great until a couple of days ago so I decided to do a clean install.

Since then, I can't find OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle, the 2 apps I used the most. They came with my first install.

I've used Pacifist to find them on the install disk, but they are not there either. Am I doing something completely wrong? Or do Apple install those apps somewhere else?

Thanks
Jon

Are you sure those apps came with the software originally? Are you sure you didn't get another disk with them on, not the Apple disks?

Positive. I installed the whole system from 1 DVD, I wasn't expecting the Omni Apps, but there they were! Now I'm even more confused as to where they came from as they are not in the Pkg. Bit annoying too, as it means I'll have to pay to use the software again.

From the Apple Store:

QuickBooks bundle
The PowerBook G4 also includes QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition — and you also get a collection of graphics tools including FAXstf, Art Directors Toolkit, Microsoft Office v.X Test Drive, FileMaker Pro Trial, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner and Graphic Converter.

In other words, these apps come pre-installed on the PB, not on a seperate disk.

Maybe if you contact Apple's Customer Service they can help you out, as you were entitled to the use of these products with your purchase.

jonparadise said:
it was working great until a couple of days ago so I decided to do a clean install.

Why did you decide to a clean install if your computer was working great? Are you previously from the windows world where you expect your computer to continually crash or something? ::ha::

jonparadise said:
Since then, I can't find OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle, the 2 apps I used the most. They came with my first install.

I've used Pacifist to find them on the install disk, but they are not there either. Am I doing something completely wrong? Or do Apple install those apps somewhere else?

Thanks
Jon

They are on your Software Restore DVD.

Hi,

Not sure if they still do it, but when I got my TiBook with 10.2 and had to do a clean install, you had to run a separate program to install all the 'additional' apps back on. It may have changed for 10.3 (I know it's not on my 10.3 CDs)

On DVD that came with your Powerbook, there would be an installer (on mine it's called "Install Applications & Mac OS 9"). If you run this, it will install a utility called Software Restore, which then runs and allows you to restore the Applications.

Hope this helps!

If I remember correctly, there are certain third-party applications that come pre-installed on new Macintosh computers, but are NOT on the Install CD/DVD nor on the Software Restore CD/DVD. Omni's applications may have been pre-installed, but not on the CDs. It is up to the user to back these files up or make sure they have a copy somewhere else in the event that they need to erase the hard drive.

Also, there is more than one .PKG to search through on the install CD/DVD to yield all the applications that should be installed. Try looking through other .PKG files on the install CD/DVD and see if your applications are somewhere else.

Back