Verify Installation of Sonnet Encore ST G4

keyizm

Registered
I purchases a Sonnet Encore ST G4 1.2Ghz upgrade for my 450Mhz AGP G4 mac. The installation went fine, the machine is up and running, however, when I launced Apple System Profiler to verify the machine speed under Hardware Overview, it says 0Mhz. Is this right? I thought it was supposed to show the correct clock speed of the CPU, no? Does it not work with CPU upgrade cards? The machine seems to be running faster however I wanted someway of verifying it's actually running at 1.2Ghz. Anybody have ideas?

I think that Xbench should read your proper processor speed if anything will. You can download that from versiontracker.

Sonnet Encore/ST 800MHz and 1GHz G4 upgrades
800MHz, 1.0GHz or 1.2GHz Motorola PowerPC G4 745x processor
2MB Double Data Rate L3 cache
Simple installation
Supports Mac OS 9.2 through Mac OS X (OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 may be required to perform Apple firmware updates)
Maximize performance for a fraction of the price of a new system
No software, switches, or jumpers
Auto-configures to host system

that's a similar add i read and lead my to get this upgrade because i wouldn't have to worry about any software upgrade, switches, or jumpers. like said earlier, my system seems to run faster but i just want to verify it's running at 1.2Ghz like advertised.
does anybody know why there website is down? i've been trying to hit it the last couple of days and no luck :( hopefully it's up this week so i can get the tech support contact info ...

i bought it directly from Sonnet via their online store. the only problem is there website is down so i can't get their tech support number until it comes back up. i do have the reciept with a sales number on it so .... i guess i'll have to try that tomorrow if there site continues to stay down.

Try resetting the PRAM. Hold down command(apple) + alt + p + r on startup. If it still doesn't report correct speed, shut down the computer and press the red CUDA reset button on the motherboard. I think it's located close to the battery.
If that doesn't do it, either, download Altivec Fractal. Close all applications, double-click it and when it's finished, a number will show up in the window title bar. I should be able to calculate the clock freqency out of the processor model (PPC7455) and Mflops :)

Now that I can see their web site, that software is for those systems that require software tricks to run OS X (604 systems and etc) Sounds like all you need if some way that reads true clock speed, should be OK.

hey ksv ... i tried reseting the PRAM and that little red button on the motherboard and neiter worked :( so, i downloaded that fractal program and ran it. The numbers i got were:
Elapsed Time: 3.3 Seconds - Achieving 4055.3 MegaFlops.
Hopefully you can still roughly calculate my processor speed. i paid for a 1.2 Ghz G4 upgrade so it BETTER (more realistically HOPEFULLYU) be somewhere in that range.

Originally posted by keyizm
hey ksv ... i tried reseting the PRAM and that little red button on the motherboard and neiter worked :( so, i downloaded that fractal program and ran it. The numbers i got were:
Elapsed Time: 3.3 Seconds - Achieving 4055.3 MegaFlops.
Hopefully you can still roughly calculate my processor speed. i paid for a 1.2 Ghz G4 upgrade so it BETTER (more realistically HOPEFULLYU) be somewhere in that range.

Sounds good :)
My pb/550 MHz gives 1689.7 MFlops on initial fractal calculations, so

550 MHz : 1689.7 = 0.3255016 MHz
0.3255016 MHz x 4055.3 = 1320.007 MHz

Yep, seems like your card is clocked at least 1.2 GHz. Could be a 1.33 GHz, actually :)

SWEET =) it's nice to know that my card is working as advertised. now i just have to clear up the problem with it showing 0Mhz on every bench mark & profiler i throw at it :( i've been in touch with Sonnet and they're working on the problem know. i'll be sure to post their solution or response when they get back to me.
KSV ... thanks for you help again!!!

welp ... aftre harassing Sonnet Technology, it turns out that my card is running at 1.245Ghz vs the 1.2Ghz advertised and this caused it not to be recognized by Metronome (Sonnet Tech bench marking application). after waiting a month they sent me a beta version of Metronome that recognizes my upgrade and correctly returns it's measurements. I'm still not sure why it doesn't work properly with Apple System Profiler & Xbench BUT ... for an extra 45Mhz, i'm not complaining =)

I've got the same problem with an encore G4/500. Could you send me your beta version of Metronome?
TIA
Isou

Hi,
Ok, thanks for the link. I wrote to sonnet :

"Everything's ok and easy to install, but I don't find metronome OS X, only OS 9 (in apple menu items) that doesn't work in classic (doesn't open)...
I'm looking for Metronome's upgrade for mac os 10, or any software utility which displays bus/processor speeds, secondary cache size and speed and the temperature for powerPc G4 processor. Could you tell me where I could find the upgrade? Or another software utility for OS 10.2.6 and soon 10.3?"

and this is their answer :

"There is no Metronome for OS X because Apple System Profiler under OS X generally does a good job at reading the upgrade. I've been told by my OS X guys, there isn't really a way to duplicate Metronome in OS X without adding a few kernel extensions and we'd rather not do that. Metronome won't work in Classic because that would violate one of Apple's biggest rules and that's that you can't access hardware directly from the Classic layer and that's exactly what Metronome is trying to do."

Islou

unfortantely i don't have a version of Metronome. the one they sent me back in the day is the OS 9 version you see on the website. i ran that 1x a ways back when i still had OS 9 installed on my machine. since panther i did a fresh install and i've never bothered to install OS 9 because i never use it and it just eats up disk space. the way i figure it ... if a program isn't written to run in OS 9 then i really don't need to be running it. anyways, i've never had any problem with my upgrade with the exception of trying to run Final Cut Pro that does actually do a process speed check when you run the installer to verify your machine meets the minimum requirements and won't install because it detects 0MHz rating which is the same thing that Apple System Profiler returns & reads. besides that ... everything else works like a charm :D

Back