Very Magical Trash Can Will Not Empty...

ClaudioLessa

Registered
Hi! I am using OSX 10.5.5 in a Mac Pro. A few weeks ago I used Boot Camp to install Windows. Everything went smoothly until I noticed that on my Mac side of the HD, the Trash was always full, no matter how many times I tried to empty it. If I put one file in the trash and pressed Cmd-Shift-Delete to empty it, the characteristic empty-trash noise would come up but the trash would still be full. Upon double-clicking on the trash icon, I could see that the file was gone, but there was another one there with weird characters that would never go away. After some searching (I used one of these Smart Trash software), I found out that that particular item in the trash was related to the Windows side of the HD. I then decided to use the Boot Camp utility to erase the partition and keep only the Mac side of the HD. Now, everytime I put just one file in the trash and press Cmd-Shift-Delete, a dialog box will come up showing me that there are 8 files being deleted. When I put that one file in the trash, the trash icon changes accordingly to the can with papers. Once it is emptied, though, the can reverts to its empty status and if I click on the trash icon to open its window, it shows me the trash is indeed empty. However, if I add just one more file in the trash and decide to empty it, the Mac Pro will show me that 8 files are being deleted. If I place 3 files in the trash and try to empty it, the computer will show me that 11 files are being deleted. I have backed up my HD and run TechTool Pro to completely erase the HD with two passes of 10101010s and then restored it. I have just run Disk Utility to Repair Disk ("it appears the disk is OK", it told me) and ran also Repair Permissions. This one result came saying that there were some different permissions from what they should be, but since I don't understand a thing about these permissions, I could only find that this was a little odd. I have also run the latest Norton AntiVirus, which has informed me that there are not bugs in my system. I don't know of / I could not find any way of trashing Trash Preferences (the old Mac way of resetting things), so... I am at a loss, although this is not creating me any serious operation problems. It is just very annoying. Could you give me any hints or point me to any hidden files that I should explicitly select and destroy? Thanks for you help in advance.
Best regards,
Claudio Lessa
in Brasilia, Brazil

Permissions are a voodoo affair in Unix/OS X. As you know OS X is not straight Unix but they both share the same heart (as least BSD Unix). Know Permissions are VERY complicated and you will get a hundred different explanations.

First read the document The Repair functions of Disk Utility: what's it all about?. Then you will join the great Mac nerd debate about the voodoo of "Repair Permissions".

Hi
I have spent 2 weeks with apple going over the exact same issue and so far the only thing we have come up with is that it has to do with windows on the computer (I do not have Norton) I am removing my bootcamp partition and seeing if that will help. My issue did not come up until I installed XP with Parallels 4.

I had the same problem: some file on the Windows partition cannot be erased from the Mac partition. Or maybe using Onyx.

I succeeded erasing the files from the Windows partition using CC.

Back