Very Slow Bootup

gamedaygeorge

Registered
Hello All,

Just yesterday I went to reboot my iMac running OS X 10.5.5. I believe this is the first time I rebooted since the 10.5.5 install process, and I was shocked to see how long the reboot is now taking. In the past this was a 1-2 minute process.

The reboot was so slow I decided to try again to see if that was an one-off, but the delay was identical. I get the normal off-white re-boot screen with the spinning graphic. Then I drop into a solid off-blue screen (looks a lot like a crash) for approximately 10 minutes before my desktop background comes up and from there all seems nominal.

Has anybody else started to experience this long re-boot with 10.5.5? And if so, have you found any fixes and/or methods that can be used to speed the process up? Something is clearly wrong, though once I'm booted all is nominal, so it seems like the issue is only impacting the boot process.

I do have a friend who is using his Mac in a networked university environment, and when he installed 10.5.5, he couldn't boot/login at all, so it could be that there is some generic boot/login issue with 10.5.5.

In any case, I'd just like to get back to some semblance of nominal boot time.

George

O.K. lets try some steps:

1. Open System Preferences->StartUp Disk and make sure your Startup disk is highlighted.

2. Download either Yasu or Onyx and run all the cleaning/maintenance routines. Let the program reboot your Mac (it will take a minute to rebuild the startup cache).

3. After the maintenance program reboots the Mac, immediately reboot again (before you do anything) to rebuild your shutdown cache.

Hopefully this will help. You should run a maintenance program about once every two months to keep your mac humming along like new. Good Luck.

I have a game DVD (Civilization IV) on my MBP all the time. The driver started to have read problems, so it took quite a long time for my Mac to boot (I guess it had to be sure there was no bootable OS on the disk). I bought a cleaner disk, which helped.

Hey Satcomer - thanks for that - it was very handy. I:

- Checked the Systems Preferences you mentioned in (1) and all was nominal there.
- Downloaded OnyX, ran their 'mandatory' start-up checks and then ran all the checks under the cleaning > system tab. This rebooted my machine, and the reboot was much faster.
- I then re-booted right away as you mentioned, and again the reboot was quick and all seems OK with respect to boot-up speed.

So - I will repeat this process every couple of months. Its interesting that the slowness corresponded with 10.5.5 - that could just be coincidence, but it really did seem to correspond in terms of time and series of events.

Hey Satcomer - thanks for that - it was very handy. ....

So - I will repeat this process every couple of months. Its interesting that the slowness corresponded with 10.5.5 - that could just be coincidence, but it really did seem to correspond in terms of time and series of events.

Thanks for the complement.:)

Just another note I wanted to download the utility DNSChanger Removal Tool and make sure you didn't get that Trojan.

Also you may would want to (if you are in the USA or Canada) check out OpenDNS and use their DNS. I promise it most likely make your surfing a little faster. Plus if you open a free account with OpenDNS you can block certain web sites and control your own DNS really easily.

Back