Video Card Options

Vaporboy

Registered
I need help here,

I have an older G4 macintosh (circa 2000 - model family M5183) that has an AGP 2x slot. The video card we have in it (stock version) is going bad and i need to get a new vid card for it. I cannot seem to find a replacement card for this machine. I can find a lot of AGP 4x and 8x cards but these don't help me very much.

Is it possible to purchase a third party ATI/Nvidia card that may be marketed for PC's and use them in this box? There are tons of AGP 2x cards for PC's available.

Any help would be great.

-VB

you should be able to run any 4x and probably any 8x card, they are backwards compatible but there was a voltage change between 4x and 8x so Im not sure

dont bother getting anything expensive though because the rest of your system wont be able to take full advantage

4x will work in 2x for sure but i'm not sure about an 8x card. an 8x card will run you at least 400 if not closer to 5 or 600. if I were you I would get a radeon 9000 or 9600.

Almost all cards today that are released are 8X. Some have the ability to go down to 4X and 2X, but not all. Make sure when you are doing your research on which card you want to check what type of AGP is supported, otherwise you may have wasted your money.

Back