video converter?

paintthinnr

Registered
Sorry, I have searched high and low and cannot find an answer to this that I understand.

I have a number of files that are .avi, .xvid, and mp4 that I would like to convert to dvd format, not just burn it to a disk, but burn it to a dvd-r that will play in my dvd player rather than my computer. Does anyone know of any software that can do this that is easy to use and either free or inexpensive? I have tried ffmpegx (way to complicated for me!), the trial of aimersoft - couldn't get it to convert anything, and toast. (With that I tried to burn someone that was already in dvd format but it turned it into mp4...)

I have only had a mac for about three months, so I am not terribly familiar with it's workings yet... I am on OS X 10.6.5 Snow leopard I think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That looks promising, but I don't understand how to actually use it. I downloaded the demo and have no idea what to do...

Yes but those are a bit too complicated for me as well. I have tried looking at them but I can't tell if the "one click dvd" thing will make it so it's playable in a dvd player that isn't in a computer. Everything seems to want to do the opposite, to make dvds playable on a computer or ipod/ipad, etc. I want to take the stuff I have on there and burn it to dvds that I can play on a regular dvd player. I don't know what format that is, I see them referencing .img but that sounds like an image rather than something playable... Is that what the 1 click dvd function does? Also, it says I need 7mbs free space to use that. How do I know if I even have 7mbs free space? How long will it take? I tried using the demo but couldn't do anything with it. This may be too high tech for me. Is there a simpler program? This is all I need it to do, nothing else.

The software that came already installed on your new iMac (iDVD) will burn DVDs that will play in other DVD players - that's its purpose in life (I mean iLife, of course :D )
The only challenge is having video files in the proper format that iDVD can use. The help files on your Mac will help you with that, too...

Tried iDVD, but what it burned wouldn't play in my regular dvd player.
That sounds like an issue with your blank media. An issue that is not discussed nearly enough is that the correct combination of burner, player, and blank DVD media can only be determined by trial and error.

Okay I tried buying that, because it looked the most promising, but the "tutorials" are way over my head. There's nothing basic. I am trying the "one click dvd thing, to see if it works, but have no idea if that is what I should be doing. Even if that does work it's frustrating because there are a bunch of tv shows I have bought that I want to burn and watch, (Not terribly cost effective but still better than cable, and legal...) But it will only let me do one at a time if I do it with one click dvd, which is the only thing that makes the slightest sense to me. I have tried registering on the site, but now I have to wait to be approved, and honestly, so far I'm just frustrated that I've now paid $30 and it doesn't even come with basic instructions and that I have to wait to be "approved" to ask for help despite having paid... I looked on the forums, but when I try to search "avi to dvd" or "xvid to dvd" it says it's too vague. I've looked at the FAQ, but there is nothing there to explain how to do what I want. I know it's probably a fairly basic thing, and they assume I would know it if I bought this, but I don't... so any help here would be really appreciated.

Please note that even though I'm a tech dolt, I managed to find a digital copy of an old movie that my mom hasn't been able to find ANYWHERE. We have the same DVD player, (she doesn't have a computer) and I am dying to convert it so that she can watch it. It would make her really happy. The tv shows would be a major plus for me, but that is the main thing... And I have gone through so many dvd-rs at this point I might as well have paid for cable or something at this point, but I won't give Time Warner the satisfaction...

Okay I tried buying that, because it looked the most promising, but the "tutorials" are way over my head. There's nothing basic. I am trying the "one click dvd thing, to see if it works, but have no idea if that is what I should be doing. Even if that does work it's frustrating because there are a bunch of tv shows I have bought that I want to burn and watch, (Not terribly cost effective but still better than cable, and legal...) But it will only let me do one at a time if I do it with one click dvd, which is the only thing that makes the slightest sense to me. I have tried registering on the site, but now I have to wait to be approved, and honestly, so far I'm just frustrated that I've now paid $30 and it doesn't even come with basic instructions and that I have to wait to be "approved" to ask for help despite having paid... I looked on the forums, but when I try to search "avi to dvd" or "xvid to dvd" it says it's too vague. I've looked at the FAQ, but there is nothing there to explain how to do what I want. I know it's probably a fairly basic thing, and they assume I would know it if I bought this, but I don't... so any help here would be really appreciated.

Please note that even though I'm a tech dolt, I managed to find a digital copy of an old movie that my mom hasn't been able to find ANYWHERE. We have the same DVD player, (she doesn't have a computer) and I am dying to convert it so that she can watch it. It would make her really happy. The tv shows would be a major plus for me, but that is the main thing... And I have gone through so many dvd-rs at this point I might as well have paid for cable or something at this point, but I won't give Time Warner the satisfaction...

Did you also try a DVD+R?
There's still players out there that won't work with burned DVD-R, but will work with DVD+R The disks are different, eh?
Simple software does not always mean easy to master.

Are you saying that when you launch that video convertor software, there's no help provided in the Help menu?

Last edited:
Oops, yes, I am using dvd+r not dvd-r, didn't know there was a difference. Just checked it. But yes, when you go to the help button, it just takes you to forums on the internet, where they won't even allow you to post. I'm irked because I now feel like this is a ripoff as it's been hours and I haven't been granted permission to even ask a question.

Back