Video editing files other that .mov's

Captain Sulu

Registered
Hi folks, I'm having an aweful time trying to edit .mpeg files on my WinXP box using "ulead VideoEditor 7", crashes, errors in final edits etc,,,, a disgusting piece of proprietary software!!!

So I'm taking a look at video editing on my iBook. Currently I'm running MacOSX 10.1.5 with iMovie 2,,, I just tried editing an mpeg with this program but it doesn't seem to like these types of files (won't recognise them). Given the number of programs that require 10.2 these days I suspect I'll have to upgrade it's ram and OS soon. But does anyone know of a program I can use to edit .mpegs, .avi's etc on the mac???

Is there ANY way (quite happy to look into open source software too) I can edit these types of files on MacOSX 10.1????

Thanx in advance for any response!
Chris

If you have QuickTime Pro, open the MPEG files in QuickTime Pro and export them as "DV Stream." iMovie should recognize the files after that.

Older versions of iMovie, like iMovie 2, only allow you to edit DV video from your camcorder -- you'd need Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express to edit regular MPEG video. Converting the MPEG video to a DV Stream file, as explained above, will "trick" iMovie into recognizing the video as DV video coming from a camcorder.

Back