Video Editing Software

nreyes

Registered
I will shortly receive my new Panasonic mini-DV camera (NV-GS400), and was looking into editing software for my Mac Powerbook which I intend to buy over the next few months (or around Christmas....if Santa is nice to me...!).

- I have been using iMovie 4 as a start and was happy with the results, but it is true that after a while there are certain limits to what you can do.
As a "natural progression" I have been checking out the features of Final Cut 2 Express & Pro.
However, I can't really say that Final Cut 2 Express is any more advanced than what iMovie already does. Is this assumption way off, or can some users out there give me some feedback on FC2 Express?

- Also, are there plans to bring out a version of Final Cut that lies somewhere between FC2 Express & the Pro version? There is a difference of almost 700$ between the two, and yet I can't see myself (as a fairly new hobbyist) needing many of the features of the Pro version.
Nevertheless, I see some things I would like in the Pro Version which could be useful, so a mid-price range version would be welcome.
Does anyone know if one is planned by Apple in 2005?

Looking elsewhere, can anyone recommend Avid products?
I have been a long term user of (Avid) Digidesign Pro Tools LE (I know my music better than my video projects!) and I know that even in its "Lite" version (LE) it is still a fairly professional all-round excellent audio solution.

However, when looking to their video products, I recently tried Avid DV Free and found it to be quite a complex program, and not that inspiring (interface-wise).
Does anyone know if the upper range Avid Digital Video Editing programs are any good?

Thanks in advance for any help.

nreyes said:
- I have been using iMovie 4 as a start and was happy with the results, but it is true that after a while there are certain limits to what you can do.
As a "natural progression" I have been checking out the features of Final Cut 2 Express & Pro.
However, I can't really say that Final Cut 2 Express is any more advanced than what iMovie already does. Is this assumption way off, or can some users out there give me some feedback on FC2 Express?

Final Cut Express 2 is way more advanced than iMovie. A simple Google search for "Final Cut Express vs. iMovie" reveals a lot of discussion on the differences. Final Cut Express is indeed MUCH more powerful than iMovie and includes a lot of features not found in iMovie: on-the-fly color correction, real-time previews, many more layers of audio and video, extremely advanced compositing features, filters, titling... the list goes on.

Of course, yes, you can do in Final Cut Express what can be done in iMovie, but the inverse of that is most definitely not true.

I have used iMovie from its inseption. I have become fairly good with iMovie and wanted to move up to Final Cut Express mostly for the the advanced video filters I wanted to apply to an old 8mm movie and also because the price had dropped.

I was just an amatuer before iMovie, I could not even spell video editing. The move to FCE has been very difficult. It is more powerfull by for me the learning curve has been steep. If you already do editing with a high level app it might not be as difficult as it has been for me.

The new creative service at our local Apple Store here in Pittsburgh have helped alot.

Calliex

From the following two software packages, which, in your opinion will be the best value for money for someone starting out in Video Editing (but who wants advanced features not found in iMovie?):

- Avid Xpress DV 4.0 or Final Cut Express 2 ?

Avid Xpress DV costs twice as much as Final Cut Express 2. That alone would make me seriously consider going with FCE2.

There is a free version of Avid DV available ($10 S/H) -- maybe that combined with FCE2 would be a good start.

Back