Video recording

mw84

Registered
Does anyone know if the lack of video recording on the iphone is down to the software OR hardware? What I mean is could this be fixed purely with a software update or would additional hardware be required?

I found an app that allows you to record video with the iPhone but it reckons it must be a 'jail broke' one. Surely if they've managed to do it then Apple could and without having to jail break your phone?

This is really the only major factor stopping me from getting an iPhone, if I knew it was possible and that Apple planned on doing it, then I'd go out and get one now.

There are a few companies that have built some reallllly awesome video recording software for the iphone. Some of it actually broadcasts the video LIVE!!! I think Apple has a reason for not releasing video recording... perhaps the same reason they never allowed audio recording on the ipod ?? hmmm.... just a guess

for me, I reallllly want video recording as I loved using it on my crappy Treo.

so now I'm faced with: JailBreaking my 2.1 3G iPhone.

can someone tell me:
-what do i need to do to jailbreak 2.1 on a Mac (or PC if that's the only way)
(links would be helpful) ?
-will I still be able to use the App Store
-will I still be able to use Exchange Sync ?
-does anything stop working
-what are the disadvantages of jailbreaking??? (warranty? can't update to 2.1.x, 2.2 etc.?) any others

Thanks in advance!!

To be honest, I went ahead and got an iPhone anyway and although I'd like to have the option to record video, I'm far from disappointed with the phone.

Like you say there are ways to get around it but you have to 'jailbreak' your phone, I don't know a lot about this and probably won't do so just because of that, I wouldn't want to end up rendering my phone useless somehow.

The only thing I think is a bit silly about all this is, Apple include youtube as one of the defaults apps, surely this a video recording go hand in hand? Being able to record a video and then upload it directly to Youtube would be a great feature.

check it out: http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/

it can do exactly that.. take video and upload to youtube..

if you want high quality video you have to let it render itself after you shoot the video..

does anyone know enough to answer my earlier questions.. and additionally.. is there a way to unjailbreak a 2.1 phone and then restore to the point at which you jailbroke it ?

Back