viewing photos inside folders

popester

Registered
hi all , have just taken delivery of macbook pro which is my first mac.struggling alot at the moment.can anyone tell me how i can view pictures inside folders as thumbnails,thanks.

Sure. In Finder, press Apple key + J on your keyobard. This will open Finder's preferences. Place a checkmark next to "Show Icon Preview". That's all there is to it.

Hope you enjoy your first Mac!

Sweet! This is exactly what I needed to find out as well. :)

Once the pics appear as thumbnails, will double-clicking open them in some kind of image viewer? Additionally, is there a way to view the thumbnails along the bottom of the folder window with a larger image appearing above, in the body of the folder window? I believe Windows XP does this, which makes it easy to view larger versions of images without having to start an external application.

Thanks!

Peace...

Normally the images will open in "Preview". If they don't, hold [ctrl] and click on one then select "Open with" and choose "Preview". There's an option somewhere to tell it to always use Preview for that particular extension (e.g. .jpg ). I think it's in "Get Info".

tomdkat said:
Additionally, is there a way to view the thumbnails along the bottom of the folder window with a larger image appearing above, in the body of the folder window?

Not exactly, but if you browse a finder window in "column" view you will see a list of the image files and you can get a preview of each one as you select them in the column to the right of your selection. This is an alternative to viewing everything in icon view. Note: you can enlarge the column view preview by widening the preview column (drag the handle on the bottom of the column divider).

But the XP-like behavior you describe can be more closely mimicked by opening a group of images in preview (all at once) where it will thumbnail all your images in the side drawer while showing a full size image in the main window which changes focus as you click on the next thumbnail.

10.1.5 did not have this feature and there's no known "hack" to this old Finder that would do the trick. You have to actually open the files in, say, Graphics Converter (where you also should have the browser to look at thumbnails...).

also, with icon view on in the current finder window, go into Finders preferences.

tick the box "show icon preview", and also, move the slider all the way up to 128x128, giving you huge thumbnails. now check the box "view all folders like this". now, whenever you select 'icon view' in a finder window, it basically gives you this wonderful view of thumbnails. for quicker browsing, switch back to column view.

Back