Virtual 10.4 in 10.5?

Jazzhead

Registered
I have a MacBook Pro that originally came with 10.4. I've since installed 10.5 on it, but I'd like to access 10.4 virtually on my system. I have VMWare Fusion 1.1, with a virtual XP & Vista, but it doesn't include a 10.4 option in its wizard.

I'm helping friends and relatives who are still on 10.4, and I'd like to be able to run it virtually. Anyone know how I can do that? Does Parallels support it? Does Fusion (I didn't see anything in the documentation, or any of the threads here or on other forums)?

Any suggestions appreciated (I'll contact VMWare Tech Support, but wanted to find out if anyone in the community has info on this in the mean time).

Thanks!

Currently Parallels does not support Mac OS emulation. I wish it did for Mac OS 9 but I do not use it as often as I wish. Your best bet is to reformat your drive and install both systems on the hard drive. You will have to select which OS to boot into each time. I am not sure about Fusion but I imagine it is similar. Hope that helps.

Actually, that does help. I posted the same question to another bulletin board and got the same advise as confirmation.

However, the other poster suggested that I could use Leopard's Disk Utility to create another partition with available free memory without having to reformat from scratch. Do you have any idea if this is true? I've been going through the Apple Tech Support material but haven't found any confirmation.

Yes, you can partition and format your hard drive to have as many Mac OS X installs as you like, and boot between them 'till your heart's content.

Simply use Disk Utility to partition your drive into as many partitions as you like, install whatever versions of Mac OS X are supported by your machine onto the individual partitions, and use the Startup Disk preference pane of the System Preferences to boot between the individual partitions.

Back