Virtual Desktops

Hi,

Thought I'd chip in with my thoughts too.

I like it!

As others have said, it would be good to have more than just one extra desktop but still pretty cool none the less.

Personally I'd like the desktop switcher in the dock - but I do like the little mini-desktop pic so don't know how you'd work that with multiple desktops and just one dock icon!

Keep up the good work.

When's then next test version ready??

Goynang.

I really doubt with the current version of OS X that this is possible, but I was thinking about it and thought it would be SWEET if you could also support Classic desktops as well! I mean...it's hard to explain. But it's like if you clicked on the little desktop it would go into classic mode and show the classic desktop.

Yea, your right. too hard. Getting support from classic to osx and such. *sigh*

I think what trip means is that it would be really cool if you could have on click access from OS 9 to X without restarting. In other words, you click on a virtual desktop and it automatically shows you the Mac OS 9 Desktop, complete with all icons, the classic menubar, and FULL OS 9 compatibility and functionality. Then, you click another virtual desktop, and you're back in X with the dock, menubar, etc.

P.S. It would be really cool, but not on this application. I think it would work on some kind of Virtual PC app, (Virtual Classic?)

Also, do you think you could make this compatible with changedesktop or desktoprandomizer? In fact, it would be great if you could incorporate a feature that would let you change the desktop at login or every 1/2 hour or whatever and make sure none of the virtual desktops have the same picture.
(Sorry if I'm being annoying with all the somewhat useless ideas)

Originally posted by xaqintosh
Also, do you think you could make this compatible with changedesktop or desktoprandomizer? In fact, it would be great if you could incorporate a feature that would let you change the desktop at login or every 1/2 hour or whatever and make sure none of the virtual desktops have the same picture.
(Sorry if I'm being annoying with all the somewhat useless ideas)

Yeah no problem. Once i get more virtual desktops working, this will be a snap to program. And no, you are not being annoying. I absolutely love ideas! :D The more the better. Thanks for the input.

Hi. I was just thinking about how to change desktops, and I figured you could incorporate a program called "changedesktop" into your app. It has the source code included, and I'm sure the author wouldn't mind (ask him though, if you do it, just in case) You can get it at:
http://www.versiontracker.com/

Changing desktops is really easy, I doubt you'll need the code from ChangeDesktop. It could help though. There might even be an AppleScript command to do so, but I may be mistaken. I thought I saw one though...

I realize that it would be easy, but it would be great for Window manager to have all of the features of changedesktop, which are absloutely great.

Finally tried this. I have a few complaints coming to mind, you've heard them before. First of all, there was the stuff on my desktop just saying bye-bye. That ****ed me off, even if it is in Library/App Supp/VD...I don't wanna loose stuff like this without a warning.

Then there's the preview. That bothers me big-time. Put it in the dock and make me right-click to change.

OR put it up on the top of the screen with the sound/monitor/battery-stuff.

Originally posted by voice-
Finally tried this. I have a few complaints coming to mind, you've heard them before. First of all, there was the stuff on my desktop just saying bye-bye. That ****ed me off, even if it is in Library/App Supp/VD...I don't wanna loose stuff like this without a warning.

Then there's the preview. That bothers me big-time. Put it in the dock and make me right-click to change.

OR put it up on the top of the screen with the sound/monitor/battery-stuff.

Don't worry, the next test version, when it is ready (probably in about a month/ month and a half) will have an installer (that doesn't take the files off the desktop), preferences will be in system preferences, will have 4 desktops (hopefully), and the previews for the desktops will be miniaturizable into a menu bar item, and there will be no more dock icon. I will have all of these things done really soon in about a week except the 4 different desktops.

-whitesaint

whitesaint: You are programming this with Cocoa right? I assume in Apple's ProjectBuilder...

...I was wondering if you could write up a few quick tutorials for us newbies if you ever get the time! That'd be so great! :)

Trip, you have 666 posts, is that on purpose? I attached a picture:

Attachments

• trip.jpg
    trip.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 33
I really want to try your app, but I am going to wait until the next release because I dont want my DT items moved. I second the motion for some tutorials if you have the time. Also one question, have you taken any classes to learn cocoa or have you learned it from books/documentation?

Nice.

I use an iMac and find the screen pic a little large even at 1204 by 768. Pushing it off the edge of the screen helps. I tend to keep my desktop clear of files except for what I am currently using so no problem there. I too would like an alternate method of switching screens. I have no particular preference as long as the desktop is kept clear. My statements are in no way meant to be demands I am stating my preferences. I installed xdarwin and afterstep. The virtual dtops on afterstep are a pain in the bottom.

This program feels right. That statement may not be too helpful but it works the way I think it should. I tend to trust my gut feeling and use something if I like it.

I tried it out. Pretty cool so far. Is there a way to make an app run kind of like a system extension does in classic. It would be cool if this could run not as an application but more like a part of the OS that could be turned on/off. Can that be done?

Back