Virtual PC 2004 in late 2003

"There is no release date for a G5-compatible Virtual PC for Mac. As is, users at such popular Mac sites as Mac Update have said they are underwhelmed by the current version."

Darn, I should have read more carefully.

Doesn't that mean they basically have decided to kill future production (at least for G5) due to the fact that current users are "underwhelmed" by the experiance??

Same article:

"Virtual PC for Mac is alive and well! Microsoft released its version of the product,Virtual PC for Mac Version 6.1, this past August and will continue to support and innovate around the technology."

So I guess it isn't dead, but M$ isn't burning any midnight oil making it G5 friendly.

6.1 is no different than 6.0, which was done by Connectix. The only change is the M$ branding. I think the reason they bought the technology is to make it easier to emulate other Windows or x86 OS's on current Windows boxes. They probably have 1 programmer working on VPC for Mac. I really doubt we are gonna see a G5 compatible version of current software (not even considering an upgrade yet) until a looong time from now. --sigh--

If you really need a PC to run certain software (other than 3D games) it's just as cost effective to get a piece of s___ Dell and a Belkin KVM switch and not have to worry about emulation issues (ports etc). I use a PC for GPS mapping software which is not processor intensive so I have a relatively cheap, "stripped down" box. I know my Magellan would not work through VPC because it barely works under WinXP! I can't think of a non-game title not available for OS X that would require an expensive PC. I do all my computer intensive work (primarily Photoshop... and a little Unreal 2003 every now and again) on my G5. - just a thought - john.

Yeah - I have an Athlon XP 1800 box that I do some video conversions on, so it's not really an issue for me either. I would just like to see my G5 run XP faster than my Athlon. ;-)

Hmmm... What KVM can I attach to my Mac USB keyboard/mouse and to my 20" Cinema display? Or to my 17" Studio display I use as a 2nd display and would like to run VPC in...?

Good points-- I'd just much prefer to have a really nice Windows emulator on my mac than buy another computer altogether, especially if it's gonna get so little use. I never really had high hopes for the M$ take over of VPC though, so I can't really say I'm surprised.

It would be extremely nice if there was an alternative... Who here has lobbied VMWare to port their app today?

Never to support M$, but it doesn't make much financial sense for it to have a G5 version of VPC. Would look bad of Mac owners had a more stable, less virusy and faster version of Windows than wintel folk.

However, I believe it's essential for Powerbook/iBook users to have access to VPC when in meetings with clients etc. As we know, a lot of stuff has to be shown on Windows (I'm talking web development etc.)... unfortunately, I have to lug a PC laptop around to meetings. I would love it if I could have a G4 iBook which had VPC running super fast on it!

I would love it if I could have a G4 iBook which had VPC running super fast on it!

Who wouldn't? But M$ gets a user's soul if they use Windows, it's just a temporary demonic possession (and fewer bling-bling in the long run) for VPC, hence the slowdown. I'm sure M$ could have it blindingly fast if the company truly wanted to. Another reason to dislike the rat ba$tard$. ::ha::

If it was so easy to make it fast than why couldn't connectix do the job?

This has to do with Microsoft not making a native version for Mac OS X Panther. Instead of releasing 6.1 they could have been working on the version for Panther and the G5's. Than again, they are hard at work on Windows Longhorn set to premiere in 2005/2006. They can't address little things like getting there current system emulated and work with Mac OS X.

i honestly think 6.1 is going to be the last version we see, and if we see any more versions they wont have any speed improvements.... unfortunately

I feel sort of sick and dirty asking this, but in the light of VPC looking like a dying fish I'm considering getting an ultra-cheap PC to cover the couple of small tasks that I occasionally need Windows for. Primarily I am not interested in building something myself and I would prefer some sort of warrantee/support. Is my best bet an entry level Dell/HP/IBM?

I did the same thing a few years ago, because I didn't want to have to use VPC and wanted to learn a little about Windows. I bought an HP Pavillion for under $450.00. Have XP on it now. Gave me something to play with. I'v had ME, 98, 2000 Pro and XP on it all at the same time. I can now wipe this machine in my sleep :)

you can build a pc for about 500 bucks that will perform much better than anything you will buy from any of those companies...

then get the remote desktop client, and you'll be set, this is something i want to do, but 500 bucks isnt pocket change anymore :(

Ripcord said:
Hmmm... What KVM can I attach to my Mac USB keyboard/mouse and to my 20" Cinema display? Or to my 17" Studio display I use as a 2nd display and would like to run VPC in...?

Yeah - you would have a problem with the displays unless you bought one of the widely available DVI compatible KVM switches. And as for your Mac keyboard and mouse, I suggest throwing them in the trash and treating yourself to a real keyboard and mouse. In my opinion Mac keyboards and mice suck. I mean really, they haven't updated their mouse since the Mac SE I had in the 80's. I'm sorry but you need to have more than one button on your mouse to use today's OS's effectively - Apple really needs to get with the times on this issue. Although I'm a big mac fan, I'm also realistic - I'm don't fall into the "Apple can do no wrong" fanaticism croud. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which has it's own OS X drivers and system prefs panel - I highly recommend this combo to any mac user. My mouse behaves virtually the same in OS X as it does in WinXP through the KVM. What's more, I can program the keyboard or mouse to enter just about any crazy convoluted Apple key combo. For example, all those who like tabbed browsing - try just right clicking on a link to open it in a new tab... oh yeah, you only have one button. I know, I know, it's not hard to reach over and hit the cntl or Apple key... it's just a whole lot easier to right click. The mouse alone has 8 buttons and a scroll wheel - all of which I use. - john.

Back