Virtual PC 2004 in late 2003

recently bought a pc for my Dad. Paid 210Euro but without screen and CD-burner (just CD-drive). It has 256mb of ram which is enough for WinXP and runs quite fast. 20gb seem to be enough for him as well.
How much does a VPC licence cost? ;)

Edit:
A new one!

Jason said:
you can build a pc for about 500 bucks that will perform much better than anything you will buy from any of those companies...
But because I'm not a pc nerd and want professional support for the thing that isn't an option I would consider.

Hm... Last statement of Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft about the G5 VPC issue: We'll make an update. Roz Ho said so in an interview when the subject cropped up. So... While it might take a while, I guess we'll see an update. Maybe it'll take until Office 11, but still...

Heh....what i always end up doing is...because i do still own pcs...whenever i want to do something on my windowsXP machine I just use microsoft remote desktop from my iBook and connect to the Pc...it's so much quicker than VPC :) Of course it doesn't offer the flexibility that VPC offers, since you have to have a windows machine laying around, turned on..and be networked to it, but wow...it's so much faster than VPC..since well...you aren't really do any of the processing on the mac and all.

gwynarion said:
But because I'm not a pc nerd and want professional support for the thing that isn't an option I would consider.

I've used VPC extensively - believe me you'll have more issues with getting VPC to work like a real hardware PC than having a home built box. Remember "plug and pray" well with VPC it's more like: plug, sign away your life, and join a fringe right wing cult. Besides, you don't have to build your own PC - you can get pretty nice box from Dell or Gateway for <$600 - john.

Okay, already, the "just buy a cheap PC" thing has been beaten to a bloody pulp, shot, and then kicked around some more...

... then dragged through the street, strung up on a 15-foot pole, and pelted with rotten tomatoes before being encased in concrete shoes and thrown into the river. :D

ocelot said:
I've used VPC extensively - believe me you'll have more issues with getting VPC to work like a real hardware PC than having a home built box. Remember "plug and pray" well with VPC it's more like: plug, sign away your life, and join a fringe right wing cult.
I've never had any trouble with VPC other than it being incredibly slow.

Zammy-Sam said:
Did you ever burn a CD using VPC? Aren't you missing the firewire-port?
I've never seen any reason to burn a CD in VPC since Toast did the job admirably in Mac OS. So VPC never had any need to access the Firewire CD-RW. Browsers in VPC never had any trouble accessing web files stored on my Firewire hard drive.

Well, Toast can't handle all image files. And there are a bunch of burning tools that just work with windows. And for firewire:
there are not only hard-drives and CD-RWs that you can plug to the firewire-port. My webcam (firewire) can't be used in VPC. There was a wonderful chat-tool (eyeball) that was another reason for me to use VPC since it was windoze only. Well, I had to buy a usb webcam because of this.. And last but not least built-in bluetooth adapters... they can't be used as well. And there are many ppl that need their cell phones to be connected to the comp, but the software just works on windoze.
Of course, some ppl don't need that stuff and the only thing they gotta deal with is the speed. Just wanted to show there might be some ppl with different expectations beside speed.

Back