Virtual PC 6 installation help

corimay

PeanutButter
I just installed Virtual PC 6.0 (w/ no MS operating system pre-installed). My question is, now how do I install Win2k? I created a Hard Disc Image on my harddrive. But I'm not sure what to do next ...

Please help! Thanks

...elaborating on what Pengu said, yes, insert the Win2K CD in your CD drive. Then create a PC in Virtual PC. Specify the settings it asks you for, and when it boots, it will boot from the CD and you can install Win2K as you would on a normal PC. Make sure you have CD-booting enabled in Virtual PC, if you can...

That's my problem, I've done what you have both said.

I inserted Win2k Pro install CD (the same one I used to install on my PC). I opened up VPC and created a new "PC", setting the preference to boot from CD. Yet the Win2K CD still does not boot. I tried starting up my "PC" on VPC and the "DOS" prompt said it could not find an OS. That's why I'm stumpt.

Ignore my previous post, I discovered that my Win2k Pro CD was not booting correctly so I got one that works.

Now my question is, I have VPC started - it immediately opens the DOS prompt - it sees the Win2K CD in my E: drive - I type in "setup" but i get the error: "cannot run in DOS mode".

BTW, to make myself more clear, I bought a used version of VPC DOS. Does that matter? Will I still be able to install Win2K Pro normally? Or is it always going to be in DOS mode?

Thanks for everyones help!!

Back