Virtual PC 6 Questions.

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
If I got only Virtual PC 6 on it's own... and I have a legal copy of Windows XP Professional... Can I install it on their?

or

Should I go ahead and shell out the $219 dollars that macmall is offering for the VPC 6 XP Pro version?

Please help?

Originally posted by AppMan
XP too slow on VPC even on a dual. win2k runs better

Is that Version 5 you are talking about? I am talking about Version 6. A version which says that I can run my programs from the dock :) If I get XP or even 2k?

I have a dual 867mhz, 1,256mb ram, 60gb harddrive, and an 80gb, external, plus my 250mb zip... 32mb nividia.

I would think this should fly? All I am doing is simple graphics programs I use to use on XP and maybe play Age of mythology... and Sim City 4000... maybe... for that...

I don't think that VPC will run decently at all. I played around with VPC 5 at a Mac store a while ago, and even on the top-notch Mac it was running on, Windows XP ran unacceptably. Win2k may run better than XP, and the 25% boost that VPC 6 allegedly features may help, I still think that buying an old PC for $300 or so will still give you better performance than VPC can offer.

If you plan on running SimCity 4, good luck. Just dragging windows around was choppy when I tried VPC; I don't want to imagine how badly an advanced 3D game would run.

Originally posted by prime
I don't think that VPC will run decently at all. I played around with VPC 5 at a Mac store a while ago, and even on the top-notch Mac it was running on, Windows XP ran unacceptably. Win2k may run better than XP, and the 25% boost that VPC 6 allegedly features may help, I still think that buying an old PC for $300 or so will still give you better performance than VPC can offer.

If you plan on running SimCity 4, good luck. Just dragging windows around was choppy when I tried VPC; I don't want to imagine how badly an advanced 3D game would run.

I am laughing at the SimCity 4 comment... because your right on it I bet...

However I will not go back to PC... Forget Bill...

Still I don't mind investing in VPC XP PRO 6. It will be great to play with at least...

Originally posted by Sirtovin
Is that Version 5 you are talking about? I am talking about Version 6.

I have version 6 that run programs from your dock feature really doesn't help performance. It's more of a convenience feature, makes thing a bit easier to use.

I did not notice much of a performance boost with VPC6 compared to VPC5 until I upgraded from 10.2.2 to 10.2.3. I think the 10.2.3 update incorporates improvements for applications that use emulated memory spaces or something like that.

the real reason i want this program is to use 2 old pc programs... My TypeArtist and Banner Maker Pro...

That's my basic reason for getting this.

Originally posted by twister
You can use the XP CD no need to buy a Virtual PC Windows XP CD.

Twister

ARGH NO.... NO... Too late I already made the purchase through the Academic Store... :( grrr... for Version 6... XP PRO... argh....

ha ha

Well even if I had brought just the Virtual PC 6 part of it... and tried to put my Full Windows XP Pro on it... I am sure I'd have to call M$... to explain to them why XP needs to yet again be reactivated.... grrrrrrrrrrrr...

there are "kracks" available for that all over the web

I prefer to remain "Krack" free.. lmao... Get it "Krack" free... lmao... Seriously though thanks for at least making an effort to help me there. :) It is appreciated.

Not only that, but if you have the actual XP CD, you can install it on an actual hardware PC if you ever get tired of VPC.

If you go with the Connectix route (the last I remember), you have a license to run the Windows OS on VPC, but the number *doesn't* work as a valid key for installation on a PC.

Cheers.

You can use the XP CD no need to buy a Virtual PC Windows XP CD.

Twister

Originally posted by legacyb4
Not only that, but if you have the actual XP CD, you can install it on an actual hardware PC if you ever get tired of VPC.

If you go with the Connectix route (the last I remember), you have a license to run the Windows OS on VPC, but the number *doesn't* work as a valid key for installation on a PC.

Cheers.

I see what you guys are saying... I already had to call M$ once for reactivation of my old PC... lol... I am glad I made the switch... to Mac...

I am going all the way with VP 6 XP Pro.

Good luck. Let us know if it works nicely or is slow as can be. I just installed Windows 98 and it took forever to install. :( Now i'm gonna try it out with Rollercoaster Tycoon, if that works well then I'll get RC Tycoon 2 :)

Twister

Good luck. Let us know if it works nicely or is slow as can be. I just installed Windows 98 and it took forever to install. :( Now i'm gonna try it out with Rollercoaster Tycoon, if that works well then I'll get RC Tycoon 2 :)

Twister

I will let you guys know as soon as I get it... remember it won't ship till after the 3rd of Jan... because it's the new version 6.

Also... Remember I am using a dual processor G4 867mhz with 1,256 mb of Ram... I expect it to fly... lol... :)

I'm running a virtual win 98 in VPC 6.0 on a DP 1 gig (original model) with 1 gig ram, 300 MB allocated to Win 98.

I have not installed any real apps to give it any significant test, but Explorer runs adequately and DM's Familiar is usable if not blazing.

This is my first experience with VPC. It's slightly better than I had expected. Granted, my needs are minimal (browser testing, niche apps with little hardware demand, etc.), but still, given all the speed complaints, I'd say VPC, for its given role, is quite usable. It's definitely a "get you by" solution.

My biggest complaint so far is actually the terrible mouse performance. It's very irritating. I'm using Microsoft's Intellimouse wireless. If OS X gives 30 fps, then I'm getting like 10 fps in VPC Win 98. I'm constantly over shooting destinations. Argh!

I'll update as I learn new things.

Oddly enough. The less RAM i allocate to VPC the better it worked. Don't know if this is still true but try putting your 300MB down to the min.

Twister

listen guys... Windows 98/Me only supported 256mb of ram... anything else is useless to it...

Now If you have Windows 2000/XP or NT... It will work with up to 4gigs of ram...

This is from a Switcher trust me.

Back