Virtual Pc 7.02 And Tiger 10.4.2

murphyj44

Registered
I upgraded from VPC 6 with Windows 2000 installed separately by me to VPC 7.02 ( ( bought the Upgrade from Apple and I had my own Windows 2000. ) VPC 7.02 works fine with Windows 2000. Now I want to install my own copy of Windows XP Professional. This disk boots fine on a PC but I cannot get it to boot on my IMac G5 with VPC 7.02 and System 10.4.2. ( It would also not boot with Panther.) I never get to the screen that says "Press any key to boot." I just get a small bliking dash and "OS not found" never leaves. I have tried resetting the PC but I just get the blinking dash. I also tried to get the Windows XP CD to boot on my Powerbook G4 800 MHz machine with OS 10.2.8 and VPC 6.1.1.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Your Mac won't boot from a Windows install CD/DVD. Until it is running Virtual PC under OS X, the Mac's hardware doesn't recognize Windows. There's got to be another way to do it, from within Virtual PC. I would bet that, somewhere in the documentation, Virtual PC will tell you how to upgrade Windows. If not, you'll have to contact Microsoft tech support, unless someone here knows the drill. Good luck.

If the CD-R is bootable, as you said, there are only two things I can think of: Your mac can't mount the CD or virtualpc options on boot devices are not set to CD too.
Insert the CD into your mac while VirtualPC is running. Check if the CD is properly mounted on your mac. Open and browse the files. If everything is fine go to VirtualPC and mount the CD over there too. Check the options if there is anything preventing CD-boot. Hope this will help somehow..

The Windows CD mounts on the Mac Desktop. I can capture the image on Virtual PC. I don't know what options to check in Virtual PC to figure out why the Windows XP disk will not boot in Virtual PC. I also don't know what files to check for on Windows XP CD.

Did you use the assistent for a new os? You will need to specify which windows version you are going to install. Also: does the CD spin at all once you boot? If it would try to access it and it fails, this might be due to a bad media (I find apple drives quite picky on writeable media) or a corrupt file. Did you ever test with your Win2000 CD? It obviously worked before..

The Windows 2000 CD works fine. The XP CD does spin but fails. I have followed the instructions very carefully many times and used the assistant. Maybe it is a bad CD, but it will boot up under Windows 2000 inside Virtual PC.

I hope no one minds me resurrecting such an old thread, but rather than start a new one with a similar theme, this seemed the best place to post.

I have installed VPC on my iMac G5 running 10.3.9. I am actually trying to install Windows 95 (I just need some very specific software, Access 97, which runs just fine under Win95).

I have the original Win95 CD, which mounts fine on the desktop. I can browse the files on the CD using Finder.

But when I try to create a Win 95 VPC using "New..", then "Windows 95", "Fat16", I get exactly the same problem of the "OS not found" error. I have tried ejecting the CD, refocusing on VPC and reinserting the CD. No joy.

The "Capture CD" option is blanked out on the "Drives" menu too.

Hitting return in the VPC shell brings up, alternately, an "Insert Media in Boot drive" and "OS not found" messages, and the CD spins away then stops.

VPC is 7.0.2 downloaded from MSDN, and is part of my firm's global subscription and license. Also, VPC did not ask me for a registration key, although I have downloaded that also from MSDN. Not sure whether that has any bearing on the matter.

Any thoughts?

One thing that comes immediately to mind is that Windows 95 is explicitly not supported on VPC 7. Only Windows 2000 and Windows XP are supported. This does not mean that the unsupported OSes won't work, but they are expected to be crippled.

I use Windows only grudgingly. I certainly don't use Access. However, I cannot believe that Access 97 is incompatible with either Windows 2000 or XP. Since they are both supported by VPC 7, why use the unsupported Windows 95?

One last thing--there are several flavors of Windows CDs. You need a full installation or the VPC OEM version.

MisterMe said:
One thing that comes immediately to mind is that Windows 95 is explicitly not supported on VPC 7. Only Windows 2000 and Windows XP are supported. This does not mean that the unsupported OSes won't work, but they are expected to be crippled.

I use Windows only grudgingly. I certainly don't use Access. However, I cannot believe that Access 97 is incompatible with either Windows 2000 or XP. Since they are both supported by VPC 7, why use the unsupported Windows 95?

One last thing--there are several flavors of Windows CDs. You need a full installation or the VPC OEM version.

THanks for the info. The only reason I want to use Windows 95 over XP is that while I only want to run the one app, it's going to handle some big datasets, and I want the OS requirements to be as light as possible. I only have 512MB of RAM in the first place.

Are you sure about 95 not being supported in VPC7? It's there as an option when I create the image, and defaults to FAT16 on the formatting tab.

My copy of Windows 95 is an OEM version that I used to use on a Dell that has gone to the great big beige box playground in the sky. Would that not be suitable? Presumably this may be the problem then.

Again, thanks for answering.

As I said, Microsoft supports only Windows 2000 and Windows XP SP2 or later under Virtual PC 7. Earlier versions of the OS are not supported. As I said in my previous post, Windows 95 may run, but will do so as an unsupported OS. It will be crippled. Your Dell OEM version of Windows 95 can be expected to work on a Dell, but it cannot be expected to work on VPC. Hacking an OEM version of Windows to run on different hardware or even VPC is software piracy and can be discussed no further. My suggestion to you is to install Windows 2000 and be happy.

Right, thanks.

I wasn't aware that using my OEM disk was illegal - I assumed because the Dell was dead I could reuse it elsewhere. Is there some debate over that, or is that fixed in stone, btw? I'm in the UK, and I vaguely remember reading something about that not being enforceable here, but that could just be me mis-remembering or it applying to another area of the license/eula completely.

However, I'll try your suggestion of Win 2000, as I can get that off MSDN too.

Back