Virtual PC for Mac 6.1

dcoon81

Registered
Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience with this program, particularily with Windows XP Pro. I am considering it for school and was wondering about performance. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had installed an earllier version of VPC on Mac OS X and must say that it does the job but cannot fully compare to a "real" PC. It probably depends on what you want to do. I suppose the most elegant solution would be a "real" PC with XP Pro and M$ Remote Desktop Connection, where you run Windoze software, which is installed on the PC on your Mac.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15544

It's going to run pretty slow unless you've got a decently-fast computer. I have a G4/500 and I wouldn't consider using VPC with Windows XP for anything other than tinkering around. I have JBuilder for Java development on there, and it's dog slow.

What kind of machine do you have?

I have a G3/500 and it's SLOOOW. (XP Home)
Booting up can take minutes. Shutting down - about the same.

I would never use it for anything else. But it's still useful for that.

If you have a faster machine you might have much better luck.

I was running version 6 on my new PowerBook 1.25Ghz... it was alright, ran a bit faster than my 350Mhz PII. A good solution if you just need it for the occasional Windows-only software (no games though!). What software are you going to need to run on it?

I did have a problem with Vendio's Sales Manager Pro software not syncing with eBay auction listing. I don't know if there was something wrong with the VPC networking system or not, I never got it figured out, every other internet program worked just fine.

cwoody222: You only use VPC for booting and shutting down Windows XP? Sounds rather dull...

Heh....It's pretty slow unless you have a really fast machine like most have mentioned, but if you are just doing basic tasks...then i'd recommend it, but only for applications that you can't afford or aren't out for mac os x. Otherwise...save your money and the frustration with VPC. :)

fryke said:
cwoody222: You only use VPC for booting and shutting down Windows XP? Sounds rather dull...

I use it for something else but a Mod told me I wasn't allowed to mention the program. Looks like my post was Edited. Sorry for the confusion.

Suffice it to say I only use WinXP for only 1 purpose. And it's slow for that. That was the point of my post.

Back