Virtual Pc Install On Tiger

jmartin724

Registered
It seems I should have installed VPC version 7 on my computer before I installed Tiger.

What is happening is that I just recently installed Tiger, and did the apple software update, so I am running OSX version 10.4.2. When I put my brand new VPC in my computer and run the installer, it takes me through the first four steps of the installation process with no problems, but then I get to Installation

sorry, the post got cut off

:eek:

anyway, it takes me through the first four steps of the installer, you know, the introduction, the agreement, etc. then it comes to the selct install type screen. it shows by default the advanced options screen where you are supposed to be able to click off or on the components you want. but all the options are grayed out and un-clickable. i tried to click the easy install button, and click continue, but it says nothing has been selected , and won't let me continue.

i thought that it was maybe because i had upgraded to tiger BEFORE installing VPC, but apparently the Tiger fix for VPC was a networking thing, whcih should have nothing to do with this.

i tried to install it my my girlfriend's mac mini, or at least get to the same point in the installation, and there were no problems. she is running 10.3.9, though.

i am running 10.4.2 on a G5 tower with dual 2ghz processors.

any thoughts? am i crazy?!??!

I have also got VPC 7.0.2 running quite happily on Tiger on a Dual 1.8Ghz G5. Have you tried repairing the permissions on the drive you wish to install it on ? It might be worth checking available disk space as well.

ya know, i should have tried repairing permissions after intalling tiger. so i will try that when i get home. but disk space is not an issue. i have over 70 gigs still available.

ok, i repaired my disk permissions and still having the same issue. this is driving me batty! i probably should not have spent the money on VPC, but now i have to make it work. you can't return opened software >:/

anyone else have any thoughts?

You seem to be going through a lot more steps than I remember. Perhaps, you need to step back, remember that you are using a Mac, and that it just works.

i dunno how much more simple i can make it, i pop the cd in and click through the instructions of the installer, just hit next until i can't hit next anymore.

then i get stuck cuz the installer says nothign is selected to install

:confused:

Hmmm... the only thing I can think of is to take screenshots of each window presented to you (how many windows -- 5 or so? I dunno...) and post them here. Perhaps there's some checkbox or something that you're selecting or not selecting that's preventing it from installing.

ok, here are the screen shots of what i see, along with a description of what was done to get there.

http://jaimemartin.com/work/VPC/1.html

i have had a mac for the past 10 years. i know how to use one.

i only wanted VPC so i could do some work from home. i went through these exact steps on the mac mini and i was able to go forward with the installation. i do not WANT to install it on the mini because i feel it would run very slow. it only has 256MB of ram. i want to run this on my g5 tower.

let me know if you have any other thoughts. my last resort is to call microsoft. i heard from someone that install support is free, but if not, i gotta pay $35. i just want to try to avoid that :eek:

That is strange -- the installer is acting as if VirtualPC is already installed on that computer. Perhaps there are leftover receipts in the /Library/Receipts folder that's making the installer think that there's nothing to install.

In your /Library/Receipts folder, are any or all of the following files present?:
VirtualPCAppBundleUpdate.pkg
VirtualPCDiskImagePlugin.pkg
VirtualPCNetworking1040.pkg
VirtualPCUserScripts.pkgvirtualpc

If so, try removing them then see if the installer will work.

Also, what format is your hard drive in? If it's something other than HFS+ (like UFS), I don't think VirtualPC will install on a drive formatted that way.

holy shnikes!

that was it! i had done a trial version of VPC about 6 months ago and then removed it, but i never thought to look in here.

MANY THANKS diablo!

:D :D :D

Glad to hear it worked.

Don't forget the 7.0.2 updater that addresses networking bugs under Tiger (mainly, only being able to use Virtual Switch networking until the 7.0.2 updater is applied).

Back