Virus: W97M.SATT.DAM C

Peluche

Registered
I had a iBook with OS 9 and saved many documents on disks.
I now have a MacBookPro with OS X.

Every time I insert my old CDdisks, all .doc files show up with the W97M.SATT.DAM C virus that my purchased Norton Antivirus is unable to remedy.
The only way I have been able to solve the problem is to copy my documents to a USB Key from my iBook and then download the file to my MacBookPro. The virus is cleansed and I can open the document. But this means I have to take all my files, take out all .doc and put them on my MacBookPro and then make a new CDdisk no longer part of the original disk.

Why does this happen and is there a way to open my files from the original CDdisk? Can I avoid having to dissasociate all .doc files from my CDs?

Why has Apple decided to make OS 9 unreadable on OS X?

Confussed and frustrated

Peluche

Every time I insert my old CDdisks, all .doc files show up with the W97M.SATT.DAM C virus that my purchased Norton Antivirus is unable to remedy.
The only way I have been able to solve the problem is to copy my documents to a USB Key from my iBook and then download the file to my MacBookPro. The virus is cleansed and I can open the document. But this means I have to take all my files, take out all .doc and put them on my MacBookPro and then make a new CDdisk no longer part of the original disk.
CDs are read-only, so if you burned the documents to the CD, then you burned the virus along with them.

Norton cannot remove the virus from the documents because CDs are read-only, so the files on the CD cannot be modified without first copying them off the CD.

You need to copy all the files off of the CD, clean the files of the virus, then burn them back to a different CD.

I don't understand what this means. OS 9 and OS X are mutually exclusive operating systems... what do you mean by "OS 9 unreadable on OS X?"

I presume that you are frustrated by the fact that your MacBook Pro cannot run MacOS 9. MacOS 9 is a PPC/680x0-based OS. Your MacBook Pro is based on an Intel x86-based processor. MacOS X became Apple's primary operating system back in 2001, seven years ago. Apple also no longer uses the PPC processor. Presumably, Apple could have spent the time and money to extend Rosetta's functionality run MacOS 9. With so little of its installed base depending on MacOS 9, there is no business case for running MacOS 9 on its Intel-based computers.

Back