Viruses On Os X

Since Norton Anti-virus 9 doesn't seem to work in tiger is there any anti-virus program that does? Should i forget about anti-virus?

Yep. Seems to do the trick. I think that just doing the one line that does away with the 5-minute timeout is all you really need to do. No harm in doing the rest. It means that you have to "sudo ls /var/log/secure" if you ever want to /see/ the secure log, but that's fine.

There are comments on that page that explain how to actually enter the text in "visudo" now. Helps if you don't know vi. I decided to go the emacs way when I learned Unix, so it is a dark corner of the universe indeed for me.

someone made a post at the site indicated there was a security concern for sudo versions before 1.6.8p2...should we be concerned with that

mkwan said:
someone made a post at the site indicated there was a security concern for sudo versions before 1.6.8p2...should we be concerned with that
If you administer computers that have users on custom sudo permission settings, yes. If yours is a single-user machine or if all users have the same unrestricted access to sudo, probably not. The workaround is sufficiently easy that you might consider doing it anyway.

According to http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/alerts/bash_functions.html, someone with (limited) sudo access can run off-limits commands by making changes to the bash environment variables.
Wordaround:
The administrator can add a line to the sudoers file:

Defaults env_reset

that will reset the environment to only contain the variables HOME, LOGNAME, PATH, SHELL, TERM, and USER, preventing this attack.
I'm personally not going to do this because I have a single-user machine and that single user (me) has unrestricted sudo access already. I am going to check my linux server now, though....

Why would virus makers make one because 1% of the uk have got a mac thats not just osx thats macs in general

> Why would virus makers make one because 1% of the uk have got a mac

Think about that argument--because there are so few people using Macs in the UK, no one would want to write a virus for it.

The Amiga had viruses way back in 89! Let me tell you something, there were _not_ very many Amigas around.

There are puhlenty of Macs out there worldwide. What? 25 million?

Silly argument repeated over and over and over and over.

Doug

Hi.. i've just now take a little bit concern about virusses that works in mac os x, well i haven't installed any of them. which one should i purchase? or better? :)

thanks

Again, why buy a virus checker for Mac OS (with the exception of mixed-platform companies, perhaps) when there are _no viruses for OS X_? None. Not one.

You can save yourself from trojans by not downloading them!

Doug

Right, chornbe!

It _amazes_ me that some people almost have a fit when I ask this question. "Well, you're gonna be sorry when your machine gets infected."

Yeah. Um. . . When that first virus comes out, depending on the severity and method of propogation, I'll go out and buy myself a virus checker. It's going to take x amount of time for the antivirus companies to issue updated signatures anyway!

Doug

are you saying you want to get some antivirus programs for the mac os x?
there are a few of them out there Norton Antivirus, Virusbarrier, Virex(.mac subscription)

mm... i mean which antivirus is the best.... some said norton is the worst??
i know trojan is different from virus, however it is better to prevent isn't it...

personally, I had troubles with Norton SystemWorks(at least the early versions for Mac OS X). I am using Virusbarrier on my mac

I am currently using the latest version of Norton Anti Virus on my 2001 G4 QuickSilver 1.47Ghz (OWC), 1.5GB RAM, 580GB HDD, OS 10.4.1. I am not having any problems whatsoever. That being said, I also do not use ANY other Symantec products on my system.

NAV regularly catches Macro Viruses thru email, and on one occasion several years ago, also caught a Mac virus when a friend brought a resume on floppy disk from a publishing company he had been to. Wanted my help editing the resume, but before we even got started, NAV to the rescue, and the Mac virus was gone.

I tend to agree with others in this forum, MacFixIt Forums, and Apple Forums: I do actually have friends who own Windows PCs. I do NOT relish playing the role of Typhoid Mary, passing some deadly virus or trojan to others, simply because they didn't choose an O/S as safe as mine is. I consider that being responsible, and helping to stop the flow of malware around the world, instead of just being a conduit for it all.

Okay, I've put on my flame-retardant Nomex suit. I'm ready for answers about those of us who actually protect our Macs against infection, or refuse to pass on the malware of less sophisticated operating systems.

Regards,

Albert

Back