Viruses On Os X

panosm_78 said:
Hello everyone, and here is my problem: Lately my mac G5 dual with Mac OSX when I connect to internet after 5-10 minutes nothing seems to work OK.
I cannot open Final Cut or my Photoshop not even safari. Everything stacks.
I belive it might be a virus but I 'm not sure. Any ideas?

Panagiotis

(Mods, can this be moved into it's own thread if necessary? Thanks! :D)

Doubtful there's a virus as there aren't any out there in the wild taking advantage of holes in the Mac yet. Which model exactly is it that you have? it's possible that you need a firmware upgrade. See the link below regarding the particular firmware upgrade for your particular Mac (if there exists one).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

A friend informed me she heard on the radio about a Worm expected to spread out (she said tonight Aussie time but don't understand how they can predict a time though) and she said the radio announcer said 'and don't go Ha, I'm on a Mac' something about we're not safe from it either

I did a google for Virus Alert Mac and googled Worm Alert Mac

Found quite a few articles which were old news but nothing recent and nothing about a recent Mac threat

But I did find there was an issue with QuickTime 7.0.3 which had some security issues to consider. And I do remember that in Tiger I've probably had about 3 security patches updated and installed but never seem to read why they were needed.

Sorry if this was mentioned anywhere else, i did a quick look through this thread but couldn't see any mention. But just by reading this article it seems things are possible even on OSX and apple are pretty quick to fix.

Getting back to the .mov subject that direct you to a web site, the files are usually only a few hundred kb in size, when I seen one of these open on a Windows Platform, their AntiVirus alert was set off. So being unaware on the Mac could possibly be a threat somehow. I've had movies that not even VLC or MplayerX could not play and I wonder the possibilities of it being some Trojan or Virus.

So while a percentage of us are running around in circles saying No Viruses on OSX, are we really prepared if something big does come our way?

Like my friend said, the radio said don't say ha, I'm on a Mac

The guy on the radio is in fact wrong. That worm that is scheduled to delete office-related files on the third of every month is in fact, Windows-only.

Why do windows people love to spread FUD?

jellison----- Well, The Posting above answer my Questions relating to the
--( Kamasutra Worm ) that all the News Media is buzzing around this Morning ( Fri --3rd of Feb 06 ). But I do have a related Question. When I found out that OS X (mine is 10.3.9 ) was imune to Virusus & Spyware, I went to alot of those NO NO sites on the Web with Safari (alot of them).
So I'm curious if I might have picked up any Spyware oriented to Mac platform, or not to worry about it. This eMac is fine, so it's just a Thought and probably some re-enforcement from you Experts, for i'm still only an infant with this Apple, but was avid with my Windows PC on running & updating Anti-Virus (AVG) & Spyware Removal (Ad-aware SE). THANKS
jellison Oregon.

No Mac viruses exist. However, Microsoft Word macro viruses can cause problems. Randy says Intego's Virusbarrier is the best choice for Mac antivirus software if you depend on Word macros. Otherwise, word defaults to blocking ALL macros and you can let Word itself protect you from the macro viruses.

Doug

Yesterday my emac was working fine! Turned it on today , entered my password as usual but it won't log me in! The log in page looks different thought and my little icon is not the same as it was yesterday. Noone has been on my computer to change the password. Any ideas whats wrong. . .?

xxbabygurl87xx said:
Yesterday my emac was working fine! Turned it on today , entered my password as usual but it won't log me in! The log in page looks different thought and my little icon is not the same as it was yesterday. Noone has been on my computer to change the password. Any ideas whats wrong. . .?

You might get more help if you posted this in its own thread that way more people can see what your problem is from the title you give the thread. Just a thought. :)

xxbabygurl87xx,

If you can't get into your computer, you can reset the password by inserting your system disc that came with your computer. If you have further troubles, let us know.

Doug

Hi All, I discovered by accident that through my ISP's security package my mac gets a free anti-vius check-up as long as its running when I do my virus scan from the PC. My mac is a mapped drive and the PC checks all connected drives whenever I run the anti-virus software. It came up with PC virus files on the mac and I just selected the "delete" option.

MAbans said:

Yeah, though a thorough reading of several articles about that one has revealed that the code is poorly written and doesn't successfully install anything.

It only reproduces by sending itself to your buddy list in iChat, assuming you have iChat open.

And it's hardly a subtle attack. It launches Terminal and shows you what it's trying to do!

Plus, it requires authentication to open unless you're logged in as admin.

Plus, it's already been removed from the forum where the it originated.

Even still, it's a proof of concept that people will download just about any kind of file and open it (honestly, a .tgz?!) without thinking about it. I guess Mac users can be dumb, too.

It's nothing more than an failed first gen attempt. I'm sure it means it'll be refined, but i forsee a bit of time before anything truly dangerous could be bred.

It's really a trojan and not a virus because it requires the user to be tricked into opening it. That said, it doesn't do a whole lot either.

Wasn't this the proof of concept thing that some security company "revealed" over a year ago? It is kind of lame - mostly just FUD and negative spin to bring attention to the security company.

I can't find the link I originally followed to this (from osviews I think), but there was a sentence in there that said something like "Security experts _admit_ that there is much less virus protection software available for Macs than there is for Windows." It was written to make it sound like a really bad thing for Macs - not as well protected as those Windows Boxes. Yeah, right!

Still - ClamXav is on my dock and gets run regularly.

at the end of the day, it still needs you to make it work. you have to unpack it and then execute it to work... so it's not a virus.

Yahoo has done a poor job of informing the public about what this really is. If you check out the discussions regarding the news topic, almost everyone there is saying that Yahoo got the story wrong. This is a trojan and basically works by fooling the user into opening the file and requiring administrative authentication to even run. Just like the Dvorak "Apple Dumps Mac OS X for Windows" article, it's all crap.

Also I don't think this can be called the first of it's kind for Mac OS X. I seem to recall that someone had created a Trojan that looked like the installer for MS Word v.X that was on some wares servers a few years back.

The idea of using social engineering rather than pure technical ability to attack Mac OS X isn't new... and has always been the path of least resistance in attacking any platform.

Some are saying, and I think it makes sense, that this trojan has virus/worm-like elements. It does reproduce itself, sorta, through iChat if it's open.

We're doomed! Or not.

Doug

It only sends itself to Bonjour buddies. Why, I don't know but most people don't use the Bonjour chat anyways.

Captain Code said:
It only sends itself to Bonjour buddies. Why, I don't know but most people don't use the Bonjour chat anyways.

Probably because anyone near enough to use Bonjour chat probably doesn't want to talk to me anyway. :D

Back