Viruses On Os X

Yeah, old news and still no viruses for OSX in the wild. Let me know when there's a virus that affects 100,000 Mac users in a day (as with Windoze) and I'll start to worry a little.

There's always going to be "spyware" and "trojans", and "worms" that run in applications like MS Word, but there's unlikely to be anything that does serious damage to lots of Macs before word gets around. I'm not being complacent but right now the odds of winning the lottery are better.
;)

The cure was to disinfect the 'NORMAL' template file in Word App folder
then to disinfect all word docs on my system

So what do you guys think of the latest "scare".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/

**Cliff notes, a person clicked a link from a pop-up, that stated there was an unreleased update to his OS available for download....hahahahahhaah...sorry.:)

Somehow I'll bet this is as lame as the last "virus", entering the admin password to run it ect.... lol

Jim

**also for the record, I am no Mac expert and I am also not a "blinders on Mac user", as was so cleverly stated in the article I am sure there are flaws and exploits of this OS, but the media seems to be on a witch hunt here with these stories. Until I see some real proof of an problem, I can only sit back and chuckle. 1 user out of how many millions?

Hey,

A friend just called me and told me about a TV commercial she saw on ABC. (I don't have a TV so I'm out of touch with commercials.) She said that some business looking guy is the PC and a 20ish kid is the Mac. The PC guys is sneezing or something and warns the Mac kid to stay back. The Mac kid says "oh thats o.k. I'll be fine". Eventually the PC guy falls backwards and crashes.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm trying to find a version of it on the internet so I can watch it.

I've been wondering any Apple doesn't start advertising this more. I guess they read my thoughts.

Do you think that it would be wise to get Norton Personal Firewall for Mac? Or Norton Solutions? I'm just wondering if the firewall is good enough. xD

My own personal opinion:

1) Norton is a fraud. I have never bought something from Norton that even passed the simplest of my requirements.

2) Most of Mac stuff is based upon either BSD or open software implementations. Maybe, maybe, if you bought a $2000 router from Cisco or someone like that, it would have better firewall abilities but I question even that. (I'm not talking a $10 router from Cisco -- the extra $1990 is not just cause its in a bigger box.)

It could be that Apple is not taking full advantage of the software that they have but I doubt even that. Security just isn't that hard if you had security as a priority during the entire lifespan of the product. Unix was created to be multitasking, multi-user. It has always been relatively secure. There may be a bug or two but generally it is very secure.

Here is the deal: the whole attack into the system starts with an open port. Its like a door into your house. If your house has only two doors and those doors are locked, you are secure. If you house has 99,000 doors, you will never be secure. Simply turn off the services, close the ports, remove the doors, and your safe. Its really very simple.

For a simple small personal system, I can't see why you would have any services running; thus no ports open; and hence, no doors. The Mac stuff, essentially comes that way and you must conscientiously turn on each service and, straight out of the box, there are not that many to enable. And those that are there open to very robust implementations like Apache's HTTPD which is as good as it gets.

Yeah I'd steer clear of the Norton / Symantec stuff if I were you. My work provided me with a copy of Symantec Antivirus for Mac. I installed it, and it caused quite a few problems with performance. I uninstalled it, and now it runs fine. In the case of Symantec, the cure is worse than the disease.

The Mac ships with a perfectly functional firewall and has never had a recorded virus, ever.

symphonix said:
Yeah I'd steer clear of the Norton / Symantec stuff if I were you. My work provided me with a copy of Symantec Antivirus for Mac. I installed it, and it caused quite a few problems with performance. I uninstalled it, and now it runs fine. In the case of Symantec, the cure is worse than the disease.
Try installing Intego's Virusbarrier to test your sanity (see this thread).

O.K., SO I need help with a couple of things:
1: So what is the best software protection for the money out there?
Or what do you suggest that I use to protect my system? I have a couple of Macs, & I want to make sure that I am protected in the best way! I have been kind of out of the "whole" tech loop for while, & NEED to get back into it!

#2 I'm suppose to use a older DOS based database & phone dialing system. I'm suppose to set it up on my old PC (Which I bought used, & then never used.... due to the fact that I LOVE my MACS so much! :)

But, that is what they are currently using... ANYWAY... I am wondering if I can use one of my older MACS instead! AND... if anyone knows how easy it would be to convert their DOS program over to a FILEMAKER datebase? You wouldn't think that it would be all that difficult! But I have never tried to convert one! What do you guys think? Looking for some "pro" or "techie" ideas, info or where to go to get info! Got any suggestions?

3: LAST BUT NOT LEAST... I have an Titanium 500 MHz, Power PC G4 laptop, that happens to be the model that has that little I have the model that has that little tiny fan that kept burning out. When I had it under warranty they replaced it, I think it was actually TWICE! I ALWAYS have a cooling fan running under it & when I'm at home... [Which in the last few years this is the ONLY way that I use it! - Hence, the Question "why do I still have this one!!" :) I take off the laptop key board & connect a different external one.] Got any ideas of how to fix it? Best place to get used parts? &/or where is the BEST place to to sell it?

THANKS For any HELP offered on any of these topics that I can get!
I Really appreciate it! :) Thanks!!

Beaner Bug said:
1: So what is the best software protection for the money out there?

ClamAV is open-source, free and updated regularly. Virex is a commercial program that doesn't install anything resident, and seems to be pretty trouble-free. You can get Virex free with .Mac membership.

#2 I'm suppose to use a older DOS based database & phone dialing system. I'm suppose to set it up on my old PC (Which I bought used, & then never used.... due to the fact that I LOVE my MACS so much! :)

What software is it? Perhaps you could just use VirtualPC with an MS-DOS image to run the software. That way you won't need to use a second computer at all. Plus, it would be easier than trying to re-write an old database program, which would frankly be a pain in the neck.

No idea for point 3 I'm afraid. An Apple Service Centre would be my first port of call.

Beaner Bug:

If you must run an antivirus, go with Intego's Virusbarrier (see messages above).

You can get free DOS emulators. Search Google for "Radnor" which is a front-end for the open-source DOSBox. It may or may not give you acceptable performance on your TiBook. Probably not. The $100 VirtualPC (without an operating system) may be even slower.

Your best bet would probably be to find an old DOS-compatible PC. I can't imagine you'd have to pay much more than $30.

Doug

Just wondering if anyone know of any free website in which i could download some sort of firewall protection for my Mac, just basically want it as added proctection. I know its probably not really necessary but it would be nice to have some sort of protectioin anyway..
Many thanks in advance

Just wondering if anyone know of any free website in which i could download some sort of firewall protection for my Mac, just basically want it as added proctection. I know its probably not really necessary but it would be nice to have some sort of protectioin anyway..
Many thanks in advance
Your mac comes with a firewall. Just go into Sharing, and you should see a tab for it.

Back