Vista, the osx wanna be....?

I think it is simply a backlash against the all-too-common sentiment that wealth = virtue/merit/intelligence/whatever.

Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs get far too much credit. That's not to say they're not sharp businessmen, but they are not computer geniuses. Or, dare I say it, any kind of geniuses.

My perception is that Bill Gates did the best he could with what he had at the time, and was shrewd enough to make some wise decisions back then. I don't think he could have foreseen how well it would turn out and how rich it would make him, but I don't think it was a complete accident either. Perhaps a case of making smart moves at the time and then seeing how the future pans out. If you keep playing your cards right, you can build and build.

It's also like scientific progress. It would be extremely rare (if ever) that one person, out of the blue, comes up with a world changing discovery out of thin air. Each person's own work is based on the background of research done before them, and they will rely on input from those around them. Isaac Newton once said "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders of Giants." For significant progress, it tends to require background from work that has taken place prior, the right kind of people working around you, and vision.

I think Steve Jobs is a person with vision and who seems to be able to spot good ideas. He doesn't necessarily come up with them himself, but he seems good at noticing the right things. He may not be the sole brains behind Apple, but this ability is very useful and he seems to work with good people (eg. Jonathan Ive). Similarly, looking back at the origins of Apple, I think Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs formed a good team, with complementary traits.

I think Bill Gates probably saw the enormous possibilities by licensing an OS. Things really took off, he has played the business very well for years, he's been able to build an empire. It certainly wasn't a complete fluke but, like with all things, a certain amount of good fortune was required too. This applies to any company or CEO, though. We can make educated judgements, but we can't foresee the future and so are not able plan too far ahead. Life's never linear like that!

Back