Voice over help

Scott Gardner

Registered
Hi all

My friend has just purchased a second hand power PC G5 running OS X Leopard. He is visually impaired and needs to use the voice over utility for email and web browsing.

The voice over will read out everything accept web content, It says "HTML content" and nothing more. I have looked through all the settings and done some googleing but can not find any answer to this. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Scott

HTML content is easy to read in VoiceOver, which tells you in a message how to do that when the cursor moves onto a web page with HTML content.
However, that also means that you have to run a newer version of OS X, such a Lion. Lion's VoiceOver (and later versions) have MANY more functions available. Unfortunately, not available on an older Mac, but might be an incentive to trade up to an Intel Mac, just for that feature...
I've been sitting here for most of an hour, trying different things on a Leopard system. I can only get tiny pieces of web pages to read in VoiceOver. I might be missing something. The most help is holding the Control and Option keys, then pressing various other keys. Some will display command messages when you do that. I didn't try every possible combination...
Maybe this page will help: http://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1131.html
There MIGHT be some commands on that page that don't exist at all in Leopard, but many appear to work.
The goal is to try to interact with HTML content. Maybe you'll get lucky where I did not...

Another possibility is to completely ignore voiceover when reading web pages. You can drag-select text, or other info on web pages, then right-click on the selected text, and choose Speech/Start Speaking - or go to the Edit menu, and then Speech/Start Speaking.
This same tip is useful in many other situations, where VoiceOver doesn't seem to function.
That speech is NOT available for advertising on a web page, as far as I can tell. I think that's an advantage, eh? :D

HTML content is easy to read in VoiceOver, which tells you in a message how to do that when the cursor moves onto a web page with HTML content.
However, that also means that you have to run a newer version of OS X, such a Lion. Lion's VoiceOver (and later versions) have MANY more functions available.....
Thanks for the reply. I think your right. I use Mountain Lion and have used several other Mac OSX's and the voice over is much better on these. I may try and look for a 3rd party software that may give better functionality.

Thats a whole lot of commands I was not aware of :) that will be helpful thanks I will play around with them.

Back