Volume could not be repaired

Jabberwocky

A World Without Windows
A couple of days ago, my trusty TiBook froze - mouse wouldn't move, couldn't switch applications, nada. On restart, I noticed a couple of the apps in the dock had question marks behind them, i.e. the alias could not find the original. I opened the Applications folder and several were missing.

I booted from the OS X install CD and ran first aid which on verify showed me a couple of errors in the catalog B-tree, I press repair but despite telling me that the colume was repaired, the errors still show up on a further verify.

I booted from a Drive 10 CD and when prompted, told it to repair. It took about 12 hours and then told me that it could not repair the volume.

I did some reading here and then booted into the console and ran FSCk-Y and get this:

** Checking Catalog file
Missing thread record (id = 1034751)
Missing thread record (id = 78836)
keys out of order
(4,12556)
** Rebuilding Catalog B-tree
** The volume Geek could not be repaired.

I have run FSCK several times but just get the same answer.

I have a Norton SystemWorks 2 CD but that boots into OS 9 and I seem to recall reading somewhere that you should not use the Classic Norton to repair an OS X volume. Is this true?

As Penelope Pitstop might have said: "Hayulp!"

Anybody got any ideas?

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere - I did look first though...

DO NOT USE Norton... Try to find DiskWarrior and use it! If that will not fix your problem backup important stuff, do a full erase and install from the beginning... Your OS X problem looks damn ugly! :(

I use Norton, and it hasn't caused me a bit of trouble yet. I boot off my SystemWorks 1.0 CD (it boots into 9.1) and check/repair my OS X volume frequently. No troubles here. I just don't install the Norton programs onto my drive -- I just use the CD to boot from and check/repair.

I hear DiskWarrior is good, even better than Norton, and can find and fix more problems than Norton can. However, I think you've got problems that extend past the abilities of disk-fixing utilities. When I encountered problems of that magnitude in the past, nothing fixed it like a good ol' reformat and reinstall from scratch. That's a 100% sure-fire way of making sure those problems are gone.

DiskWarrior is not a disk repair program in the conventional sense. Instead of patching the original directory, it uses a patent-pending technology to quickly build a new replacement directory using data recovered from the original directory, thereby recovering files and folders that you thought were lost and that no other program could recover.

DiskWarrior

Chances are that DiskWarrior will have you up and running like new in short time.

Back