VPN/Networking

Andrea1215

Registered
Hey everyone! I am connecting to my office via VPN, I can get connected just fine but I dont know how to search for the server I'm trying to connect to via an IP addy. I can do on my PC but I cant on the MAC - I'm sure it's something simple but I just started using this MAC and have no idea. THANKS!!!! :) :) :)

If you know the IP address of the server, then simply press Command-K while in the Finder (or select "Connect to Server" from the "Go" menu) and hit up:

smb://IP-address/share-name

...if you're connecting via SMB.

Thanks!!! I appreciate you tolerating my dumb questions.... :) :) the MAC is at the office (I'm at home now) so I'm not sure about SMB but I'll give it a try tomorrow -

I know that I'm connecting to a MAC OSX Server not a Windows Server. Does that matter? Thanks again, Andrea

Andrea1215 said:
Thanks!!! I appreciate you tolerating my dumb questions.... :) :) the MAC is at the office (I'm at home now) so I'm not sure about SMB but I'll give it a try tomorrow -

I know that I'm connecting to a MAC OSX Server not a Windows Server. Does that matter? Thanks again, Andrea

You should ask your admins at work which protocols they're using on the Server. Is the office all Mac or a mixed environment?

If they're using Windows File Sharing then you'll be connecting using samba (ie, the smb:// prefix). If they're using AFP then you'll use the prefix afp:// (which is the default so you don't actually need to type it). There are a handful of others, but your admins should be able to let you know. Once you know the server and protocol, you can save it to your favorites so that you don't have to type it any more. I like to make an alias of the mounted server so that all I have to do is double-click on it to have it mount. You can even throw the alias into the login items if you wish, but some might regard that as a security risk if you save your username and password (which I don't recommend ;)).

Back