VPN proxy?

4C4Blessed

Registered
I've set up VPN on an OSX Server 10.5 machine. My OSX 10.5 Client is able to connect into it without any issues. Hooray!

I've checked the box "Send all traffic over VPN connection" because that's exactly what I want to do.

However, as people have experienced, and as expected, you can no longer browse the web or any other web traffic when you are connected to VPN with this enabled.

There are plenty of help articles telling us to uncheck that box to get web access again. But that's exactly what I do NOT want to do. I purposefully want ALL of my web traffic to go through VPN, so that it is encrypted between me and the OSX Server. (i.e. i might be out somewhere on an untrusted network and want to chat with someone, so why not VPN to my OSX Server where I know it has trusted internet... )

So what do I need in order for the OSX Server to "redirect" all of my VPN'ed web traffic out thru its real internet connection and then back to me over VPN?

A Proxy program running on the OSX Server? if so, which one? Is there a simple, already-built, ready-to-install program that will route ALL internet traffic, not only HTTP, but also chat, email, ftp and others? Perhaps one or two terminal commands or maybe even just a setting in the network system preferences?

I've looked at SQUID, aside from the fact that it is incomplete, not built, missing some pieces, and not easy to make or install, as I understand it only works for www port 80 traffic anyway, so that still doesn't help for other types of traffic such as chat, ftp, etc.

Any advice would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to use VPN to get a secure connection to the internet.
TIA!

I believe that DNS should be enabled if you want all traffic to pass through the VPN tunnel and still would like to be able to use the server's internet connection to check emails, surf, etc.

I don't think there are too many settings for the DNS service (although DNS can, itself, get very complicated). I would use the defaults that are there and see if it helps first before diving into customizing it. I apologize -- I recently took down my Mac OS X server box and don't have a reference now to see what you're seeing. If you have any questions on specific settings, post a screenshot here on the forum so that we can look at the screens you're looking at.

El, Thank you for the information.
So I "switched on" DNS service on the OSX Server. It seems to have one piece of preset information in a field, but that's it. That wasn't enough to do the trick however. Either DNS is not the answer, or, I need to learn all about DNS to have some clue what to put in all of these empty fields... Anyone have experience with this? Am I really the first one to ever think of doing this? (I doubt it)

Zones tab:
[Add Zone] [Add Record] [Remove]
Machine Name: (ns)
Fully Qualified: (blank)
IP Addresses: (blank)
Software Info: (blank)
Hardware Info: (blank)
Comments: (blank)

Settings tab:
Log Level: (Information)
Accept recursive queries from the following networks: (localnets)
Forwarder IP Addresses: (blank)

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Extra info: Apple tech support said "you have to do a couple of terminal commands", but stopped short of telling me what they actually are. The price tag on Apple's full answer costs $600 for Apple to sell me an "extended tech support call" for OSX Server. Nice... Let's find the answer for free, shall we?

Last edited:
Back