VShieldCore hogging CPU

Scottfab

Helpless Mac Newbie
This process is taking between 50 and 75 percent of my CPU. I believe its related to Virex. What is it really, why is it taking up so much cpu, how can I bring it down, and what would happen if I killed it?

Alright, I uninstalled Virex, CPU usage is way down. Now the CPU is being hogged by Safari, Colloquy, and Adium, as it should be.

But, um, doesnt Virex have its usages, like keeping viruses out. Lets say hypothetically that I went to a crack site (but of course I never would, right?). Couldnt I easily get a virus by downloading a crack? And no, dont say "dont download cracks", because this is a hypothetical situation. What else could I do instead of have Virex?

If you downloaded a virus from anywhere, then it would almost positively be a Windows virus, which would do absolutely no harm to your Mac.

While I'm not going to recommend running your system without any virus protection, I will say that I've been running withou it since the first release of OS X and I haven't a one yet.

I'm sure that Apple/McAfee will work out a solution soon, and it'll probably come in the form of an updated Virex download from .Mac.

Yeah, but I'm sure any Virex will be a system hog. Having the background Virus Shiled naturally seems like a cpu hog, and is almost always unneeded. If anything, I should be able to set it up to only scan downloaded files I choose.

Scottfab said:
Yeah, but I'm sure any Virex will be a system hog. Having the background Virus Shiled naturally seems like a cpu hog, and is almost always unneeded. If anything, I should be able to set it up to only scan downloaded files I choose.

Try clamXav. However, note that this app is not Tiger ready. I also do not run AV. I feel for other Windows users, but believe that it is their responsibility to take care of themselves. In other works, I don't want to bog my system down because of the lack of personal responsibilty of others. The only exception would be if I were a business and had Windows customers. But, protecting them also would be in my self interest.

I guess I should wait for a Tiger ready non-system hog. Or just use that sudo hack posted on the "Virus on OSX?" thread... once somebody explains it to me.

Back