Wallstreet Powerbook Os 9.1 Wake Problem

jschwell

Registered
i have been running os 8.6 on my wallstreet powerbook with a sonnet g4/500 processor upgrade for a couple of years without problem. i installed 9.1 on a separate partition on my 20g hard drive and it ran ok too until i downloaded and installed 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2. and the computer began to freeze on start-up when running os 9.2 so i ran the "remove" for 9.2 and did a clean install of 9.1 from the cd. now even with all peripherals disconnected and all extensions turned off the computer won't wake from sleep in os 9.1. when i open the lid and hit a key instead of just waking up i get the start-up chimes then nothing. if i then push the power button it boots up ok but freezes within a minute or two. if i quickly change the start-up disk and boot into os 8.6 everything works ok.

i though it might be the sonnet card too so i wrote to sonnet and they replied that it is unlikely as the card is designed with sleep enabled machines in mind.

i tried to reset the pmu but the time and date did not reset. do the time and date always reset when the pmu is reset? if not is there any other way of telling the reset has been successful?

jack

HI There ;)
I think we may be able to help you, but there are a few things were going need to know first.
jschwell said:
i have been running os 8.6 on my wallstreet powerbook with a sonnet g4/500 processor upgrade for a couple of years without problem.
What is the speed of your Powerbook, without the upgrade card installed and how much RAM is onboard?
jschwell said:
i installed 9.1 on a separate partition on my 20g hard drive and it ran ok too until i downloaded and installed 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2. and the computer began to freeze on start-up when running os 9.2 so i ran the "remove" for 9.2 and did a clean install of 9.1 from the cd. now even with all peripherals disconnected and all extensions turned off the computer won't wake from sleep in os 9.1.
How many partitions on your 20g hard drive and what OS is installed on each one?
jschwell said:
when i open the lid and hit a key instead of just waking up i get the start-up chimes then nothing. if i then push the power button it boots up ok but freezes within a minute or two. if i quickly change the start-up disk and boot into os 8.6 everything works ok.
We need to know what you mean by "quickly change the start-up disk and boot into os 8.6 everything works ok'

So, if you post the answers to these questions, we'll try and help :)

hi dfa,

it was a g3/233 "wallstreet". i upgraded to 512mb ram when i put in the new processor and hard drive a couple of years ago. it has always handled 8.6 perfectly. i have 6 partitions on my 20G hard drive. two partitions have os's on them; 8.6 on one and 9.1 on another. i seem to have somehow cured the "freezing immediately after start-up" problem but it still won't wake from sleep in 9.1. wake in 8.6 is not a problem but, if the powerbook has been asleep for more than a couple of minutes in 9.1, when i try to wake it i get the chimes and then nothing. i have to reboot to get started again in 9.1. not the end of the world but damned inconvenient.

thanks for your effort, jschwell

OK,
Startup your Powerbook in OS 9.1 mode and for the time being, open your Energy/Sleep Control Panel and slide eveything to 'never'. Close this and then restart in OS 9.1, holding down the 'Shift" key (This turns all extensions off, during Restart).
Once the Desktop appears, dig into your "Utilities" folder and find.....dear I say this....Disk First Aid! Open it and click the Verify Button and let it do it's thing, noting whatever (if anything) the report shows.
Turn your Energy/Sleep Control Panel back on to your desired setting and Reboot your Powerbook (still in OS 9.1 mode) whils't holding down the Option & Apple keys. (This will rebuild your OS 9.1 Desktop).
Providing there are no serious Disk errors, this should clear up your inconvenience, however, there is a Lithium backup battery in your Powerbook. It's the one that keeps your clock going even when your machine is switched off , just like the one on Desktop Macs and this could be part of the problem.
Try this and see how you go.
Cheers

hi dfa,

thanks for your reply. that procedure didn't solve the problem. i still got the chimes upon wake up but then nothing. then i booted it into 9.1 fine. i had considered the lithium battery but read conflicting descriptions of what that battery does in a wallstreet as opposed to other mac models. in any case, wouldn't a bad battery affect wake up in 8.6 as well as 9.1?

jschwell

dfa,

i have a little more info for you. i discovered that if i set my energy saver control panel, to "never" sleep and to turn off the display and hard disk after some period of time of inactivity, say 10 minutes, then close the cover after the screen goes dark, it will go into a sleep from which it will awaken in the normal way. however, if i either put it to sleep or close the lid before the screen darkens it will go into a sleep from which it will not awaken. very strange.

jschwell

Hi there :)
jschwell said:
dfa,

however, if i either put it to sleep or close the lid before the screen darkens it will go into a sleep from which it will not awaken. very strange.

jschwell
The only reason I can think of as to what causes this, is, that your Wallstreet does actually have a little magnet set into the Bezel of the lid, which, when you close the lid, (as in your above actions) triggers instant "Sleep" mode in MacOS 9.1. and I also believe the same thing happens using some versions of MacOS X. on this model Powerbook (I could be incorrect on that, but hopefully, somebody will confirm or refute that).
Still, that is not really going to solve the issue. As a workaround this, set your preferences in your Energy/Sleep Control Panel to "never" and I suggest that you remove this little magnet, as, if your Wallstreet doesn't "know" the that the lid is closed, you won't have any more issues.
Hope this helps explain the cause and is of some help,
Cheers.

thanks, i know where the magnet is as i had to tape a metal strip to the edge of my 20g hard drive that is under the magnet when i installed it, per a recommendation i found on the internet. without the metal strip the powerbook wouldn't wake up at all with the new hard drive in; with the metal strip everything worked fine. maybe the metal strip is not positioned correctly or isn't quite large enough for 9.1.

jschwell

Back