Wan To Lan

You haven't given us enough info about what you're trying to do.

I'll take a guess that you're talking about a router...
WAN is the connection that goes to the outside world. Usually you connect the WAN port via ethernet cable to a cable or DSL modem.
LAN ports are to connect local computers to the router. The router controls sharing communication from the outside world to the LAN computers.

Also, we don't _mail_ here. Solutions are posted to this thread, so that future searchers can find them as well.

LAN=Local Area Network
WAN=Wide Area Network

So when you have higher speed network and have multiple equipment then 'routers" and a great way to have multiple devices connected to get to the internet when ISPs (internet Service Provider).

So a typical setup is ISP modem to the router's (wired or wireless) WAN port. Then your computers connect to the LAN ports. Routers have a local link configuration web page to set it up.

So cables connecting the devices are really called CAT 5 and CAT 6 cables. They look almost the same but the wires inside and little different. Read about the cables at wikipedia, CAT5 and CAT 6 cable.

A rule I use in buying cable is this:
1. CAT 5=10BaseT
2. CAT5e=10/100BaseT
3. CAT 6=10/100BaseT

Pus getting cable really depends on the speed of the router ports. Thinking into future is always wise when buying cable.

So contact any nerd in your school and they will probably help you and give you one on one help setting up your network.

Last edited:
LAN=Local Area Network
WAN=Wide Area Network

A rule I use in buying cable is this:
1. CAT 5=10BaseT
2. CAT5e=10/100BaseT
3. CAT 6=10/100BaseT

This might be misleading as it suggests something which is not correct.

cat 5 = for all speeds up to 100mbit (thus 10 and 100 mbit)

cat 5e = for all speeds up to 125mbit (thus 10 and 100 mbit)

cat 6 = for all speeds up to 1000mbit (thus 10, 100 and 1000 mbit)

So buying cat-6 cable it the best for any use, otherwise use cat 5(e). Best is to use a fully wired cable (8 wires) in stead of 4 wires).

Good luck, Kees

Something tells me that this person might be trying to collect some e-mail addresses by requesting responses via e-mail for spamming purposes. Just a hunch, of course. ;)

Something tells me that this person might be trying to collect some e-mail addresses by requesting responses via e-mail for spamming purposes. Just a hunch, of course. ;)

That is why we should not reply by email. Also I found this question only on this form using google search, so unless he uses a different question (or emailaddress) on different forums ...

Good luck, Kees

Back