Want to see an opensource app for Mac...?

id like to see a windows emulator that does not use the "screen in screen" metaphor. instead it displays each individual window on the Mac os X desktop.

Then what id like to see is each boring grey windows window, graphicly changed to a OS X graphical window, thus fooling the user its a OS X app, that means we can then use and play all those games, applications and other stuff i bet that would anger MS a bit though. at least there would be a windows emulator that doesnt feel or look like windows os..

Originally posted by Quicksilver
id like to see a windows emulator that does not use the "screen in screen" metaphor. instead it displays each individual window on the Mac os X desktop.

Then what id like to see is each boring grey windows window, graphicly changed to a OS X graphical window, thus fooling the user its a OS X app, that means we can then use and play all those games, applications and other stuff i bet that would anger MS a bit though. at least there would be a windows emulator that doesnt feel or look like windows os..

Yes, I too would like to see an alternative to Virtual PC (BOCHS is in like pre-pre-release state, IMO)

Originally posted by vanguard
Javintosh has me thinking. A really functional calculator would be cool.

Of course OSX comes with a simple calculator but it's weak. Windows comes with a marginal scientific calculator that usually has what I need.

Anyway, that's my vote, a better calculator.

Vanguard

I don't know about y'all but the calculator in OS X has trigonometry, powers, logs, percentage, and it does conversions:

power
speed
currency
area
pressure
temperature
volume
and more ...

what else is missing? finance calculator?
graphing?

Originally posted by fuzz
I don't know about y'all but the calculator in OS X has trigonometry, powers, logs, percentage, and it does conversions:

power
speed
currency
area
pressure
temperature
volume
and more ...

what else is missing? finance calculator?
graphing?

The VERY simple ability to delete a wrong number entry like the Backspace does in Windows Calculator :p

However, I don't know if that's possible in Panther's Calculator. I'm talking here for Jaguar Calculator :)

You can check out the free KoalaCalc if you want a free calculator with a fair amount of functionality (no RPM). OS X native.

Originally posted by hulkaros
The VERY simple ability to delete a wrong number entry like the Backspace does in Windows Calculator :p

Damn right. That is so irritating. Hopefully it's fixed in 10.3.

An aqua (non x11) interface for openoffice that allows for direct copy and paste from web windows and other aqua apps.

Originally posted by MikeXpop
An iTunes-like playlist app for movies! Using the quicktime libraries, it can't be that hard, can it?

Now that would really ROCK. but what are they gonna call it? iMovie? id love to download movies to watch.

iTheater! Duh! ;)

Microsoft is not going to make VPC the way you want it to be, and they'll probably sue anybody else who tries to make another emulator that's actually half-decent.

www.leapware.com this is windows based ftp client, but one of the best out there. Very good gui.

Also, there isn't many good irc clients out there that are free. mIRC for windows is by far the best.

That is my vote. A nice free ftp client and a nice free irc client.

Anyone notice the initial post date? :rolleyes: "05-18-2002."

That link up at the top is not even functional anymore.

I checked out the site and they don't make any mention of open source development. Their forums don't mention it either.

So, it was a great idea while it lasted. Lots of interesting feedback about a calcualtor app. How boring! :)

I would have liked an app that could send text messages to a mobile phone from your mac, never heard of anything like that before.

If you have an email address on your phone, you can do just that. I know the phone I use has such a capability, though I don't use it.

Back