wanted: realistic reasons to buy a mac

Man do I feel like I;ve been left in the dust -- ok no more sleep for me -- I will eat, drink and sleep MacOSX.com lol

ok so you want good reasons to buy a mac ?

1) Maintanence costs are LOWER than buying a run or the mill PC. I had my performa 635CD for 5 years before I bought another mac, and the only updates I did on it were some more RAM ($60) and MacOS 8 ($90). $150 total for 5 years isnt bad at all.

2) No stupid blue screen of death. Yes I know that XP doesnt have that, XP does something even more stupid, It just reboots itself when something is wrong and it doesnt even tell you what was wrong. -- it goes into protected more, runs tests...bs.

3) Run multiple Operating Systems! Yes folks, you can run MacOS X, you can run MacOS 9, you can run almost every single x86 (or other) OS out there (hey I am living proof --> Solaris 7, Windows 3.11, GEM, Windows 95,98,ME, NT4, NT 3.51, 2k, XP, BeOS, QNX, OS/2, AmigaOS, Atari GEM, IIgs OS,Rhapsody, NeXTSTEP, OpenSTEP,Linux, etc)

4) Productiiiiiiity! I mean apps for video, audio, photos, do much better on the mac than on a windows PC. You can get Office for the mac if you wish, you can get appleworks, you can get whatever.

5) The power of UNIX. YOu want to use unix, wanna be a geek(expressed in the most endearing way possible :p), go ahead be our guest. Join the unix comminity.

6) INNOVATION. All these "features" that windows has apple came up with it first. CD burning from the desktop, bundled movie making software, DVD, firewire and USB builtin. With innovation comes cutting edge tech and thus the value of teh macine is greater. By the time the PC industry catches up the only hinderance is this perceived "Mhz inferiority" (bull)

7) Ease of use. My grandmother could use my mac (even though I wouldnt allow ANYONE close to my mac unsuppervised :p)

8) Hardware/software integration. No driver headaches driving you insane providing you with uncomfortable sleepless nights.

Reasons enough ?

Admiral

hey i'm not a big hardware knowledge guy, but i know the imac comes with built in vga out so that you can view on a tv, partly making it functional as a dvd player among other things. this might be something a dad could appreciate. do the other macs have this?

(i don't spend time tempting myself with things i know i can't afford):cool:

ed, it's ok, i only checked apple because when I buy a system, I try to order and bundle as much as I can with my system so when I finance, it's all put together under 1 bill so buying/searching on third-party sites wouldn't help me. although research on third-party sites would have helped me. plus, i really never knew of any third-party sites...

although, i'm still a bit mad that you call me an Average PC user because I know more than almost EVERY teacher in my school... both middle and high... and even the computer teacher... but it's ok, no hard feelings or anything

well, if he's into programming, isn't the mac the best place? (i'm not sure on that one). since he'd be fairly artistic, the graphics engine in a mac would be excellent, since speed would be significantly increased. music and websites would be great on a mac. and of course, they just look better (a BIG selling point for me! :D)

The most obvious thing we are seeing in it, is that Steve is helping me with getting out of Luxemburg for graphics work and having iMovie instead of IDon'tKnow.

lol blingbling

i didn't mean to imply you are an average pc user. i meant that you acted like an average user in that one instance.
example - i do stupid things sometimes. that doesn't make me a stupid person:D

the "not knowing" was the point i was getting at all along. most pc users just don't know much about macs. agreed?:cool:

Originally posted by Hervé Hinnekens
What is a weak point from Apple is that when you have broadband that you can't connect an other computer to it right out the box. I have never seen this argument, a very strong suggestion...

Hi all,

What *I* thought Herve meant was that unlike Windows machines today, Mac OSX/OS9.x does not *seem* to have an out-of-the-box configuration for NATing -- that is, you can't just hook your Mac up, out of the box, to your local broadband connection and NAT out the rest of your network over a hub to the Internet.

Now, I don't know much about macs yet -- got my PowerBook G4 667 about 2 months ago, and have done just about everything I can find short of reformatting/repartitioning (which is soon to come!). Is there NAT out of the box on MacOSX/OS9? Something like Windows "Internet Connection Sharing"? Or do you currently need 3rd party software?

-ZeroAltitude

I can't say that I have had a sleepless night. It exists from thirdparty software. I can't say that unlike having an other processor the $799 iMac is very usefull. It is a very basical computer, but it is sold in the computershop and finds some spying from cspeople.

so now that the new line of macs and iphoto have been released, does anyone have anything to add to this thread or to change from a previous answer?

btw - didn't see my friend today. so i couldn't ask him any specifics.

Originally posted by ZeroAltitude

Hi all,

What *I* thought Herve meant was that unlike Windows machines today, Mac OSX/OS9.x does not *seem* to have an out-of-the-box configuration for NATing -- that is, you can't just hook your Mac up, out of the box, to your local broadband connection and NAT out the rest of your network over a hub to the Internet.

Now, I don't know much about macs yet -- got my PowerBook G4 667 about 2 months ago, and have done just about everything I can find short of reformatting/repartitioning (which is soon to come!). Is there NAT out of the box on MacOSX/OS9? Something like Windows "Internet Connection Sharing"? Or do you currently need 3rd party software?

-ZeroAltitude

You can use the natd daemon to do NAT for you in OS X, but not in OS 9.
There are threads here that tell you how to do it, and I don't think it's that hard.

I think that the reasons 'why' are getting a bit too complicated.
I mean for a home user that doesn't care about all the tecnical aspects it won't make a differens.

My reasons for the consumer user:

For, say an iMac, you have two cables to connect, power and modem.
The computer is shipped with all the programs most people need. And they are of high quality and easy to lern and use.

Set up is easy and not time consuming. It's stable and you don't have to worry to much about getting infected with virus. To add a printer, scanner etc it won't take you allday and long phone calls to the support. If it made for Mac it's plug and play as it should be.

This is what I think is most important for the normal consumer who's not a computer expert and have no intention to be one. Someone who just want to use the computer and don't want to worry about what makes it all work, just that it does work.

What I have spoken about @ Ed Spruiel is that the new Ilamp is so easy to use for videoclips. You synchronise the voice of the performer with the moving of the screen and the music. If the musical baseline sounds to poorly, you can add an other instrument. You must also have the face of the performer on the screen preventing from being a scary disaster.

the new iMac is a great reason to buy

either you'll have the coolest computer available, which regardless of the pessemists is a great computer (the only place i could get the old iMac had the bottom of the range, a 600Mhz with 64MB and OS X installed so it didnt start up, for £800 about $1,200 the same price as the new iMac).

or he could get an old iMac for a dirt-cheap price cos the retailers will be clearing out.

Mr Fluffy I know you has something to do with guitars. But I go bankrupt if I'm listening to your advice. I can't even choose my hardware. I have never been very keen in guitarplaying, but in the dactyloclass the teacher was forcing me to type blind and softwarecontrolled. They have judged at the university to study 2 modules instead of 3 or 4, because they are seeing that I have serious problems, and even to stop studying. You know Steve Jobs can kiss my ass!

You know Steve Jobs can kiss my ass!

huh? where did that come from herve? what is bothering you buddy? feel free to reply in dutch in order to express youself properly on this one - we'll find someone to translate!!!

that statement really threw me coming from you.:confused:

This Athlon 900 mhz and Toshiba 475 Mhz has everything except that dirty Performa that needs very special code to be different. It is not as dirty as that Zillion Pc(can't be betterd). Headache They have also something like this @ the university. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
2) No stupid blue screen of death. Yes I know that XP doesnt have that, XP does something even more stupid, It just reboots itself when something is wrong and it doesnt even tell you what was wrong. -- it goes into protected more, runs tests...bs.

Just to keep everybody properly informed, XP and w2k can each do both. Way back since NT 3.51 you have had the option to automatically reboot when the system crashed. You don't get the BSOD but you can check the logs if you want to know what happened.

What different in XP is that this behavior (rebooting after a crash) is now the default.

As for why they should buy a Mac, I think the new iMac is a great reason to switch to the Apple world. It's fast, cheap, stable, functional, attractive, and fun. PCs are fast, functional, and cheap but neither fun nor attractive.

Vanguard

Back