Was I Not Supposed to Install This?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I check for software updates about twice a week. A few days ago (last weekend, I think), I got a list of a few software updates. I noticed that they were all checked except the AirPort update. Each time I check for updates, everything that shows in the list is usually automatically checked (the little box next to it) for installation. Anyway, I clicked on the AirPort update (to check it) and installed it along with whatever else was in the list. Everything (including AirPort) seems to be operating just fine. But in retrospect, I'm wondering if I should not have installed the AirPort update because it wasn't checked? If I wasn't supposed to install it, why was it on my list?

If the update is checked, most likely you have software or hardware installed that needs that update. If it's not checked, most likely you don't have the required hardware or have not configured the software... or something...

You can safely install all updates that appear in Software Update, as the list of updates is custom tailored to your machine, even if you don't have the required hardware. I assume the reason that AirPort software is offered (but not checked) on hardware lacking AirPort connectivity is the possibility that you'll install AirPort hardware in the future, and then no further software installs would be required to get you up and going.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If the update is checked, most likely you have software or hardware installed that needs that update. If it's not checked, most likely you don't have the required hardware or have not configured the software... or something...

You can safely install all updates that appear in Software Update, as the list of updates is custom tailored to your machine, even if you don't have the required hardware. I assume the reason that AirPort software is offered (but not checked) on hardware lacking AirPort connectivity is the possibility that you'll install AirPort hardware in the future, and then no further software installs would be required to get you up and going.
No, I don't think that's it, because I already have AirPort. Ah well. I installed it, anyway. I guess there's no harm done. (I hope!)

Hmmm... then most likely it's an optional update, or an update that isn't critical like a security update or something. Or perhaps it's because it deals with a specific piece of hardware -- usually iSight, iPod and AirPort updates are not checked when they appear in Software Update for me...

...or perhaps it's just a glitch and there's no good reason at all.

I install all updates that appear, checked or unchecked, necesary or not, hardware or not, and I like to think I've got a system in tip-top shape... never caused a problem for me.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmmm... then most likely it's an optional update, or an update that isn't critical like a security update or something. Or perhaps it's because it deals with a specific piece of hardware -- usually iSight, iPod and AirPort updates are not checked when they appear in Software Update for me...

...or perhaps it's just a glitch and there's no good reason at all.

I install all updates that appear, checked or unchecked, necesary or not, hardware or not, and I like to think I've got a system in tip-top shape... never caused a problem for me.
Yep, same here: I install all Apple software updates, regardless of whether or not I even use that particular application, because I've learned that even though you may not use *that* application, the update may contain some vital data to *other* applications that use the same files, etc.

See? I'm learning! :D

Back