Watercooling on iMac G5???

Zenzefiloan

Registered
If you check out the pictures of the iMac G5 you can see that the water cooling mechanism has been changed a bit?

Would anyone think that the new system woul prompt us to a possible G5 PB in the distant future?

Apple is trying very hard to get the watercooled features out of the powermac(though they did improve it in this version, not in imacs) I doubt very much we will see it in a portable with the chance for failure probably increasing 5 fold. Portables with G5s have been spotted but they are bulky and the fans are still to loud at this point in time. 80% chance sometime between March 2006 and August 2006 for a G5 or whatever they want to call it in what we would call a powerbook.

Iirc there was no watercooling in the iMac G5. Can you take a screenshot and point at the "suspicious change"?

The iMac G5 is most definitely not water-cooled. The only Macintosh that is water cooled is the dual-2.7GHz PowerMac G5.

All the iMacs are air-cooled.

Who has "spotted PowerBook G5s?"

fans blow cold air up, and out through the line in the back of the imac, near the top. hot air rises, and they play on this fact

who has spotted G5 powerbooks MI5moav?

um... right. i have taken my iMac apart many times and have never seen any water... it's all air.

and i seriously doubt mi5moav has seen G5 powerbooks

I'll be placing my order for the 2GHz iMac G5 in the morning.

Do you guys think its worth going for 2 GB RAM or is 1 more than enough? I work with large size photos in Photoshop so need a bit of RAM to keep things going at an acceptable rate.

Good to see the option for the 400GB HD...a lifesaver for people than need lots and lots of storage! I'll be getting this too:D

Been waiting since Feb for this computer...so happy it finally came out...and to get 10.4 with it as well as an airmac card is just a big bonus!!

...especially since Apple apparently dropped prices on RAM. I'd be willing to pay a little more than normal for extra sticks from Apple, since they'll be covered under warranty should one go bad (and it seems like the percentage of bad sticks is higher than it's been in a while).

2GB's help out tons when you have 15-20 apps open (mostly heavy apps) and need to switch back and forth a lot especially with Expose shrinking and expanding those windows. It's great you won't be disappointed if you get more.

DCD said:
I'll be placing my order for the 2GHz iMac G5 in the morning.

Do you guys think its worth going for 2 GB RAM or is 1 more than enough? I work with large size photos in Photoshop so need a bit of RAM to keep things going at an acceptable rate.!
If manipulating large images in Photoshop is what you do, then you want plenty of RAM and fast access to that RAM. The iMac is not the system for you. The low-end dual 2GHz G5 with its fast FSB is the way to go.

mi5moav said:
...I doubt very much we will see it in a portable with the chance for failure probably increasing 5 fold...

I think you mean Apple is the one where you might not see water cooling in a portable. Others have already done it... years ago. Hitachi did it in 2002. Google search it on your own.

Where do you get these crazy statements mi5moav? "Portables with G5s have been spotted but they are bulky and the fans are still to loud at this point in time. 80% chance sometime between March 2006 and August 2006 for a G5 or whatever they want to call it in what we would call a powerbook." I'm not having a go, just wondering where the authoritative tone is coming from:)

lilbandit said:
Where do you get these crazy statements mi5moav? "Portables with G5s have been spotted but they are bulky and the fans are still to loud at this point in time. 80% chance sometime between March 2006 and August 2006 for a G5 or whatever they want to call it in what we would call a powerbook." I'm not having a go, just wondering where the authoritive tone is coming from:)

if you press the quote button at the bottom of the post you would like to quote, it takes to a new message screen with the quote laid out for you :D

Back