We will dedicate bandwidth for 10.1!

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
MacOSX.com plans on offering 10.1 upgrade (the Free version only) available for download via FTP assuming that the upgrade requires 10.0 to be installed already. (We wouldn't want to actually provide the full version, that would be illegal).

We have heard that many folks have got their hands on 10.1 (Release) today and if you did get this, please consider contacting us about uploading it... for distribution.

As soon as we get it... hopefully sometime this week or even Saturday or next week... we will get it online for you to download. Unless Apple has some major issues with it.

Admin

I am assuming that you'll need a burner to burn it to so you can install it? Me = teh burner on iBook w/ only OS X and PC w/o burner :(

-Drew

A burner will be required. The update wants to install from a bootable CD... probably the reason Apple is not offering a download version... as it would only be for "power users" and not the general public.

We are making it available as a service to those who have burners and the bandwidth to download it.

Admin

Originally posted by drewday
I am assuming that you'll need a burner to burn it to so you can install it? Me = teh burner on iBook w/ only OS X and PC w/o burner :(

-Drew

I managed to get the image onto a CD by sending the image (5g64) to a friend with a PC and a burner. I'm not sure what program he uses, but I think it's called Nero, or something like that. Also, I had to convert the dmg-file to a "cd-r master" (img-file) in Disk Copy 6.5b11.

Good luck!

I'd been told once that Nero Burning ROM will burn .img files, however, haven't had any success with this. Does anyone have any idea what settings or set of circumstances are required in Nero Burning ROM to burn .img files?

Ian

you can install without a burner, theres a link to it somewhere in a thread here, i tried a search but didn't turn anything up. anyway, i have the link somewhere but i cant find it right now.
the basic jist of it is if you have a mounted image of 10.1 install disk, you just copy the mounted install cd to its own partition and boot from that. you won't be able to select it as a startup disk, but i think if you hold down x on startup it should find it, if not hold down command and then select it. its pretty simple once you have the mounted disk image to play with.:D

I was able to install 10.1 (5G64) from a partition, though it wasn't just cut-and-paste. If you want, check out the "Macavenger... your FTP" thread and I posted my experience on page 2, I believe.
Maybe something was just screwy w/ my computer, but what I wrote there is what I had to do.

Admin - if you do get someone w/ the official release CD (I assume you are wanting something straight off the CD, not the 5G64 that's been floating around) to upload an image, would you maybe consider putting together a set of instructions on how to install from a partition for people w/o CD burners?

Originally posted by drewday

-Drew

Why not install 9 on the iBook and burn it from there?

If someone has the original upgrade CD, can't they create an ISO image of it? That's the standard for distributing CD images, and anyone with a PC or Mac can make the CD from it.

-Rob

there is someone on this forum who has they seybold CD, but he hasn't created the image yet...hopefully, he does soon. Saturday seems so far away... ;)

What the hell, I am running 5G64, why am I saying stuff like that ;)

Working on it. If I can get my hands on a legit Mac OS X 10.1 upgrade CD, I'll ISO it and upload it. While I'm working from my end, I hope other people are too. It hasn't shown up in any usenet groups (that I know of) yet...

Please go to this directory on the CD
<code>
cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install CD/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Resources"

</code>

and copy the contents of these two files to this list

software_version

package_version

for 5G64
they are:

s= Mac OS X
10.1 (build 5G64)

p= Major: 5
Minor: 182

and a big hooray for MacOSX.com by showing big community spirit.

I hope Apple accepts your proposal, as it will deflate some of the self importance on the hotline servers.

I believe that someone is playing a joke about the 5G68 issue.

So how will you prevent people who don't allready own Mac OS X 10.0 from installing 10.1? Or does the installer do that?

I'd love to just download it, but I don't want to support piracy.

(I'm going to call the Apple Store in Columbus for a few details on how I could get the CD there today, I'll post my findings later on today)

OOPS, my bad, I didn't read the top post carefully... sorry admin and friends!

I must look like an ass now...

Originally posted by kilowatt
So how will you prevent people who don't allready own Mac OS X 10.0 from installing 10.1? Or does the installer do that?

I'd love to just download it, but I don't want to support piracy.

quite a script that one....

checks for a previous install, checks to see it on a cd, checks to see you have disk space.

that's just the first impression, I was looking for something else.

a thin gray line on the piracy issue, it's just a matter of whether you want the post office to "<b>handle</b> your cd for 2--3weeks" the upgrade is free and apple will probably post it when the demand goes down and the smoke clears.

anyway, pirates are an ornery lot. just because you are a pirate doesn't mean you support them. On the contrary........

if you want to wait, that's cool.... your donation goes to a couple of months of salary for the shipping team, the post office, the electric company, the internet company, etc.

Ordered my .1 update from appple store (1-800-MY-APPLE) and no proof of purchase required as I had ordered X originally through the apple store... Cool.

I'll still download the version posted here... I don't want to wait a couple weeks! But, i still want the CD and package from Apple - not to mention it makes me feel better. It's only $20.

I know $20 is quite a bit for shipping and handling, but I wonder how much of that really goes into Apple's pocket. Anyone have an idea?

I have the 5G64 GM beta, and am quite willing to UL to the server if i can find out how. it is the final release, some guy phoned tech support and they said that it is 5G64, maybe they put some updates on it like stuffit, but i doubt it, it'll all be available thruogh software update so they wont bother.
S, if you want it, i'll upload it. tell me how.
but i dont want to get busteed by Apple for supplying it to you, so as a disclaimer, im sure you have it already and desire a backup copy dont you?
paranoia......:(

email me admin

Originally posted by brodie
I have the 5G64 GM beta, and am quite willing to UL to the server if i can find out how. it is the final release, some guy phoned tech support and they said that it is 5G64, maybe they put some updates on it like stuffit, but i doubt it, it'll all be available thruogh software update so they wont bother.

email me admin

if 5G64 GMbeta I doubt there is a difference

"some guy" called Tech support

somehow more comforting than the "some guy" who said 5G68 is the final.

<b>"Somebody" with authority please clear up the hoax.</b>

Back