Web Developer Contracts

jonparadise

Registered
After doing all the hard work of designing a couple of sites and drumming up a bit of business, I've now come to the stage where creating a Contract for clients to sign will be a must.

I have no clue as to where to go for this. Can I write one myself? Or should I go to one of the websites that offer 'professional' contracts.

Any advice would be useful.

Cheers
Jon

Hi Jon,

If you want to send me your e-mail address, I'll send you my standard web design/development contracts to give you some idea, although admittedly, mine do need updating a bit.

Ian

Your best bet is to contact a lawyer who speacilizes in contract law.

mdnky is right, your best bet is getting a lawyer who specializes contracts, internet if possible but by no means necessary.

Of course, any legal contract is binding, so if you keep it simple you can probably write one yourself without too much trouble...

I bought these books recently.........

The Graphic Designers Guide to Pricing, Estimating & Budgeting (ISBN 1-58115-098-9)

The Creative Business - Guide to Running a Graphic Design Business (ISBN 0-393-73077-8)

The Business Side of Creativity (ISBN 0-393-73093-X)

Although much of it is aimed primarily at an American audience, the basics are pretty universal. I have found it VERY useful so far, even though I'm UK based.

They have sample business forms in the back (including a standard work for hire contract). I think this is a good starting point, especially if you review each one based on the experiences you've had with your previous client. After a few reveiws, you should have a contract that works well for your particular setup.

Hope that helps.

wicky said:
I bought these books recently.........

The Graphic Designers Guide to Pricing, Estimating & Budgeting (ISBN 1-58115-098-9)

The Creative Business - Guide to Running a Graphic Design Business (ISBN 0-393-73077-8)

The Business Side of Creativity (ISBN 0-393-73093-X)

Although much of it is aimed primarily at an American audience, the basics are pretty universal. I have found it VERY useful so far, even though I'm UK based.

They have sample business forms in the back (including a standard work for hire contract). I think this is a good starting point, especially if you review each one based on the experiences you've had with your previous client. After a few reveiws, you should have a contract that works well for your particular setup.

Hope that helps.

Hi Wicky,

That's interesting. Which one would you say is the best with regards to web design as opposed to graphic design?

I currently live in the UK too, I've to put together a pricing system and organise a web design company in Chicago though. I'm guessing that the books you mentioned would probably be a lot of help to me.

Ian

The first one is pretty much "as it says on the tin"... a general overview of all the concerns, pitfalls, etc., related to the financial side of what we do creatively.

The second is aimed at 'a business', as in a company that may already, or may in time employ one to multiple people.

The third is similar (and by the same author) as the second, but aimed more at the individual, or sole trader.

They are all clear and easy to understand reference books, dealing with general design business issue's rather than specifically with print or web. Although, saying that, the Pricing, Estimating & Budgeting book does have a chapter dedicated to new media pricing.

If you've been doing it for a while, they probably won't teach you much that you haven't already worked out for yourself.... but it's always good to see how other people deal with problems common to design industry, such as contracts, copyright, etc.

Hi Wicky, thanks for the prompt response - I appreciate it. :)

I'm sure all the books would teach me something as I've worked pretty much alone for the past few years, so having to organise other people too is a bit of a challenge. :rolleyes: I've just had a look to see if they are all available at Amazon and they are, so I am going to purchase them some time soon.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Ian

Back