Webcam for old iMac

kinkar

Registered
We upgraded to a new Mac last year and gave the old one (with the round body & adjustable tilt screen) to gramma. We'd like to try to Skype with her, but when the USB webcam is inserted (into a spot on the body, not on the keyboard) it does not even register that the computer knows something has been 'plugged in'. Perhaps, is that USB port too old to support this 'newer' cam (which is the xbox 360 viewer... we bought it based on recommendations and it does work on our 'older' laptop). The book that came with the cam states that it needs a 2.0 USB port, if that info helps. Thank you so much for your assistance!
Fiona K

.... The book that came with the cam states that it needs a 2.0 USB port, ...
OK. What kind version is the USB port on the computer?

Seriously. Is there any reason that you have not given any of the following information?
  • The model of the Mac?
  • The model of the webcam?
  • The version of Skype?
  • The version of MacOS X?
It might be possible to operate your webcam if you download and install the free webcam driver macam.

Hello all,
I am new and need some help.
1. I have an iMac G4.
2. I have a webcam.
3. the Webcam is a logitech Messenger one.
4. I would like to be able to use photobooth and would like to know if there is anything I can do to get it to work. thanks Elliot.

it is running Tiger

Photobooth is Intel-only...

That statement is incorrect...
The Photobooth app has been useful since the built-in cameras first appeared (in the last model G5 iMacs) and is not Intel-only....
I have Photobooth on an eMac. All you need is a webcam that PhotoBooth supports, (the webcam is the only missing piece for me!) Macam may be needed to get a particular webcam to work, but PhotoBooth is not a problem on PPC Macs.

Only half the iMac G4s had USB 2.0. If you have a 15" screen with a 1.0GHz G4 or better, OR a 17" screen with a 1.25GHz G4 or better, OR a 20" screen of any kind, then you have USB 2.0.

If so, then take a look at Macam (link), a free plug-in that adds support for most USB webcams to Mac.

Assuming you don't have some weird plutonian webcam, that should help you out.

Failing all of this, you can scour eBay for an old iSight camera, but be aware that it will cost you about $100 or more, as it's the only webcam option for older Macs, and no longer being made.

Good luck.

For what it's worth, the G4 was my favorite iMac design of all of them.

Last edited:
Thank you Ra3ndy,
O have an iMac G4 and it has a CPu capacity of 800MHz
whatever that means :). I am wondering how I would install
on of those iSight webcams on my Mac ? Any help is great .
I also very much love my little iMac G4
Elliot

Back